What is a typical meal for you?

So, I have always been an "on the go" kinda person. I always worked 2 jobs, one being a hairstylist, and I never had time to cook. If I wasn't eating out, it was a sandwich. Now that I have my 2 year old son I want to cook meals for him(I don't work anymore) but I am SOOOO bad at cooking, I don't know where to start. I don't know what to buy, I don't know what to cook and what would go with it. Any suggestions on cookbooks or what to do to get me started?

Harrisonsmommie

Asked by Harrisonsmommie at 12:05 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I go for simple and healthy. I love the crockpot. I will often preapre it at night and slide the ceramic part into the fridge and leace the warming part on the counter. When I am rushing off to work I will see it on the counter and put the ceramic part in and turn it on. Dinner is ready and kitchen is cleaned when you get home. I like soups, meatloaf, roast, whole chicken, chicken and noodles, stroganoff and all kinds of things in the crockpot. Look online for recipes. Noodles have to be added when you get home or they will be soggy. I also like to cook alot of ground beef at once, let it cool and put it in 1 lb servings in the freezer. On a busy day you will already have meat for tacos or spagetti.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:10 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Easy Meal Planning for Beginners (links to recipes)  would be a good place to start.  I also love Recipezaar to search for kid recipes, quick recipes, easy recipes, crockpot recipes, etc.

Our typical breakfasts include hot or cold cereal, pancakes or eggs.  If I'm ambitious I'll make sausage gravy & biscuits

Lunches can be sandwiches, soup, leftovers.

Favorite dinners are grilled chicken, hamburgers, spaghetti, chicken alfredo, oven fried chicken, beef roast, roast chicken, tacos, chicken parmesan, stir fry, casseroles, homemade pizza, sloppy joes, pulled pork sandwiches, etc..

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 12:35 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I just discovered pre-cooked dinners in the refridgerated cases at my Albertsons grocery store.I tried the Beef Lasagna and it was so good it tasted like it came from an italian restruant.They're called Culinary Circle and they have all kinds of other meals from oriental chicken,BBQ turkey meat loaf,chicken enchiladas,and more.With the Lasagna I would get more than one because people will want seconds.I haven't tried the others yet but I'm assuming they're just as good.Ask your grocery store if they sell it,if not you could always order take out from a restruant these items.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 5:20 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Try this website the bettycroker website.They have tons of recipies.Nothing is better than good old home fashion cooking.
    Anonymous

• Bobby Flay says that if you have a well stocked pantry, you can cook anything. A pantry also includes certain refridgerated items: SPICES: salt, pepper, garlic powder, basil, oregano, cumin, italian seasoning, rosemary, thyme, red peppers flakes, mexican chili powder, paprika, allspice, cinnamon, minced onion. I always buy colored bell peppers and slice them long , and onions and keep them in the freezer in a ziploc so i have them on hand quick and easy when i need them and they never go bad. Buy frozen vegetables, they keep longer and are par-cooked so they are easy to add to recipes, cheaper too. Plain yogurt is a good healthy alternative to sour cream, heavy whipping cream (great for making homeade alfredo), and wonderful to coat chicken in before breading it (marinate in yogurt for at least an hour, it makes it nice and moist). Ricotta cheese is great to put in casseroles as a filler, and also good for desserts.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 1:03 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Lemon juice, worchestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, regular butter, condiments, dijon mustard, pickles (when u notice that tarter sauce goes bad, mix chopped pickles, paprika, salt n pepper, mayo, garlic powder, and a drop of mustard) anyway italian breadcrumbs, or plain, grated cheese, diced tomatoes, and minced garlic in a jar. That will start u off good, and it just helped with my grocery list
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 1:09 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I love my crock pot. There are some great things you can cook in there and its basically a whole meal in a pot that you don't even have to do anything to it but put in the pot and let cook all day. We make beef stew this way (coat your beef in flour, brown it in oil, then put in the crock pot with large chunks of potatoes, carrots, onion, enough beef stock to cover everything, and a packet of beef stew seasoning, cook 8-10 hours on low and warm some rolls to go with), pork roast (peel 4 medium potatoes and 4 carrots. Cut the potatoes in half and the carrots into 4 chunks each. Quarter an onion. Put all this in the bottom of the crock pot. On top of that, lay a 3 lb or so pork shoulder roast with the fat side up. Rub with an allpurpose pork seasoning, or McCormicks pork rub, letting some fall down on the vegetables. Add in chicken or beef stock, about a cup. Cover and cook on low 8-10 hrs, serve with salad and rolls).
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:43 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Another nice meal is chicken pot pie. I make this by boiling chicken (boneless or bone in doesn't matter), about 2 lbs, in chicken stock til its done. Pull it out, let it cool a bit, then pull the chicken off the bone and cut into 1" pieces. Place in a 8x8 square baking pan with 2 cans vegetables, drained (we use 1 can corn and 1 can green peas), 2 cans cream of chicken soup, 1 tsp poultry seasoning, 1/2 tsp salt, and a bit of ground black pepper. Mix well. Top with a refrigerated pillsbury pie crust. Bake in a 350 oven for 20-30 minutes til the pie crust is browned well.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:45 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Turkey chili is easy and healthy too...cook 1 lb ground turkey til its done. Add in 1 can red kidney beans and 1 can undrained diced tomatoes along with 1 packet of chili seasoning (we like McCormicks), and simmer for 10-15 minutes at least. Serve with biscuits or cornbread from an easy mix (betty crocker corn muffin mix is our favorite). You can also add diced onion or jalapenos to the chili before adding the beans and tomatoes if you prefer. A teeny pinch of cinnamon ups the flavor of the dish also.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:48 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I have a ton of healthy, tasty, budget friendly recipes. I can list some;contact me for recipes.
    noodles & veggies with peanut sauce
    veggie pot pie
    lentil tacos
    sweet potato & black bean burritos
    sloppy jojos (made with lentils)
    noodles with beans, sauce, spinach&cheese
    Italian stew
    veggie stew with dumplings (crockpot)
    southwest falafel (bean patties with avocado sauce)
    tofu "fish sticks" with sweet potato or acorn squash baked "fries"
    General Tsao’s Tofu
    Tamale Bean Pie

Answer by rkoloms at 10:36 AM on Jun. 13, 2009