Is there a day that doesn't go by that you DON'T have to discipline your kids?

My son is 6....and increasingly it seems like at least once a day I have to get on him about one thing or another. More often than not it's his attitude!! This attitude is out of control and not acceptable. Of course he's ok once I've had a talk with him, put him in the corner or whatever. But is it just me...he is getting more defiant, independent and "fresh" by the day. As if he thinks he's a little grown up. lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My little girl is 5, and she gets in trouble for something everyday. Most of the time it is not listening to a word we say, and her little attitude. Oh my daughter has a really bad attitude sometimes, but I have also realized that she is testing to see how far she can go. She is trying her limits, and she is also trying to assert a little independence, but I still can't stand her mouth sometimes.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 12:35 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My daughter will be five in october and also has quite the attitude.... still there are days when it's bedtime and I'm like wow she was soooo good today! On the days she's good I've noticed those are the days I ask for her help. I've found that if she feels responsible for things she has a better attitude towards everything in general. That being said daily discipline is a given for almost every kid no matter what age I'm sure... and I kinda like the fact that she's an independent thinker and challenges my patience from time to time.
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 12:44 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Its normal. I cant count how many times I get on to mine in a day. But they're kids so its to be expected
    yaffamommy

Answer by yaffamommy at 2:23 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Discipline is about consistency, it's an every day thing.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 2:33 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Not usually, there is always some problem or another. Part of the daily routine in our house...
    rune2319

Answer by rune2319 at 11:58 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My little girl gets in trouble at least 27 times a day.....LOL well maybe not that many, but it feels like it. I feel like a broken record. Oh, and the constant negotiating tactics from her is getting pretty old as well.
    Rmiddelton

Answer by Rmiddelton at 5:42 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I have 5 kids, so yeah, I feel like Im on someone all day long. There are days that I go to bed feeling like all I did was chastise kids all day long. Its a crappy feeling. But...like a pp said discipline is about consistancy, and sometimes it takes a while to break through their thick skulls :) Keep at it mama, this is definitely the age to get the attitude and "sass" under control or trust me, it will escalate to the point where its uncontrollable in the tween years. Good luck!
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 1:52 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• No. I have never had a day go by without having to discipline one or both of my girls. My "almost 9 year old" thinks that she is 16 and is already plotting on how she is going to learn to drive if they don't offer it in school. My 6 year old has "dibbs" on my clothes and jewelry, lol! Crazy huh? Your son sounds like he is testing how much power he has........Just don't lose it completely when he is being really irritating and you should win until the next test. I like the comment from one of the mom's about getting your child to help you. His little ego might need a boost, get him to help with something because "you need a strong boy's help". I hope that this helps. I wish you peace. s.
    Tarosu

Answer by Tarosu at 6:45 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I did have one day with no discipline of the kids!!!! Oh, wait. The younger two weren't here yet, and the oldest wasn't mobile yet. I guess that doesn't count.

Especially since I still had to discipline my husband. grrrrr...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:33 PM on Jun. 13, 2009