That show "16 and Pregnant" on MTV.

I watched some of that show "16 and Pregnant" on MTV, and I know they are trying to show the "realities" of being young and pregnant. But I also can't help but think that they are glamourizing it just a bit. I could see some young girl watching it and thinking to herself, I could do that, and she got to be on MTV because she is pregnant. I get that some teenagers are going to get pregnant no matter what, but I want them to really know what they are getting into. Do you think this show will help teenagers see what parenthood is really like, or do you think it will just make teenage pregnancy seem ok.

TeriMelisa

Asked by TeriMelisa at 12:31 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Depends on the kid watching. Some kids are more stupid than others. Have you ever tried to reason with a 16 year old? Sometimes it is easier to reason with a 3 year old. It is scary so many of them are becoming parents the babies are who suffer.
    Anonymous

• not all teen moms are bad at being a mom and not all the babies born to a teen moms suffer. i think thats a little judgemental, i know some teen moms who are great moms! no im not a teen mom, im a young mom but not a teen mom, but just because someone has a child at 16 it doesnt mean that child will suffer.
    Anonymous

• I know a lot of Mom's of teens got their panties in a bunch over that show The Secret Life of an American Teenager. Some thought this show would get young girls to believe it was ok to get pregnant at 16 too. If you wait until the end of the show the girl who plays the pregnant teen does a PSA begging teens to talk to their parents about sex and parents to talk to their teens. I think for the most part these types of shows are rather innocuous, but there will always be a twit here and there that will think it is cool to get pregnant. Babies are not toys or dolls. I think some girls have a romanticized idea of how parenting will be.

salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:51 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I am not saying anyone is a bad mother because they are a teenager, but I will always believe that it would be a lot better to wait until you are older.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 12:55 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I think this kind of show is going to make life more harder for us parents, like the 1 mom said it depends on the childs mind and at 16 they will be more like 18 which they will try to do anything they want cause really they don't want to hear us parents out they want to learn by there mistakes not hear about ours mistakes and some of the parents are selfish and uses the kid and thats when some just wants someone to love them
    Anonymous

• I'm only ten minutes into the show online and yes, it is being glamorized and they are making it sound very easy. Its so sad.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 1:39 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I take that back, just watched the full episode and no its not glamorizing... It shows how tough it is if anything. I feel bad for those young girls. I cant imagine anyone watching it and saying "oh I can do that". Its also good for those young moms to be who think about abortion, these girls on the show give up a lot of things to take responsibility for their own actions.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 2:39 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I haven't seen the show nor do I wish to see it. To me a 16 year old having a child is not entertainment is is sad, pathetic and cruel to the child since a 16 year old is not even able to legally drive a car, let alone raise a child.

Would some feel like is "cool" to become pregnant at that age after watching the show, sure. If they do so, they were stupid to begin with but I think that if they felt that after seeing the show, they were going to pup a kid soon regardless of the show or not.

I feel no empathy towards the mom's I feel horrible for the kids, they deserved so much better, but hey that's their prerogative.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 3:00 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Since when is a 16 year old not legally allowed to drive a car?
    katskelington

Answer by katskelington at 12:32 AM on Jun. 13, 2009