LAws on "cheating" while separated...

Ok im not looking to be judged im asking for advice on wat to do. I left my abusive husband beginning of March. Recently met a great guy that treats me like a princess and loves my son. We have of course been having an intimate relationship... and now im pregnant. I have always been very big on pro life so abortion is pretty much out of the question, but i have been hearing that there are laws saying it is a felony to "cheat" even while separated. there is no chance of me ever getting back with my husband, but he is also very big on using the law against anybody who ticks him off. so im wondering if anybody knows anything about the laws for this. I am desperate and don't know wat to do. please no hate messages i know this is bad but im going Through enough and don't need people hating on me anymore....

ashley41

Asked by ashley41 at 12:46 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• I've never heard of this law. You may want to start the process of a divorce though. I know here in Ohio if your married and get pregnant adn the husband isn't the father, the husband HAS to be put as the father on the birth certificate regardless who the real father is
    starmoonlight

Answer by starmoonlight at 12:50 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• The only law I am aware of is that your divorce can't be finalized until the baby is born and they can do a DNA test to determine whos baby it is. (Even though you know its your new boyfriends) Its all for child support and custody issues. I would say keep it a secret from you husband until the divorce is finalized.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 12:52 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I doubt it. I've never heard of anyone being "legally" punished for cheating. I'd call a lawyer for a "free consultation" for any questions you have.
    Anonymous

• BTW, I applaud you on keeping your baby. You have a little miracle there---congratulations!!!!!
    Anonymous

• I know there are laws on the books in a lot of places re: adultery, but I've never heard of anyone actually being punished for it. Where I live there is a law that says you can go to jail for 6 months for cheating, my ex cheated on me left, right and sideways, but never spent a day in jail, not for the cheating anyway.

I'd find a lawyer and see what they can tell you for sure, but I doubt you'll be legally punished for adultery. Congrats on the new baby, and good luck on the divorce!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:59 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Those kinds of laws went out in most states when Divorce changed to Dissolution of Marriage. I suggest you divorce the abusive husband (legal aid will do it for free in most cases). If he gets into one of his rages he might go nuts and kill you and the baby bc you are still legally his wife and abusers go nuts sometimes when their "woman" gets pregnant by another man. Just get the divorce and move on.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:04 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I have never heard of that either.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 2:26 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• The only encouragement I have is … turn to God for an answer. However, my prayers are with you good luck!

Wishing you blessings

Polo66
    Polo66

Answer by Polo66 at 2:31 PM on Jun. 12, 2009