Laws on "cheating" while separated...

Ok im not looking to be judged im asking for advice on wat to do. I left my abusive husband beginning of March. Recently met a great guy that treats me like a princess and loves my son. We have of course been having an intimate relationship... and now im pregnant. I have always been very big on pro life so abortion is pretty much out of the question, but i have been hearing that there are laws saying it is a felony to "cheat" even while separated. there is no chance of me ever getting back with my husband, but he is also very big on using the law against anybody who ticks him off. so im wondering if anybody knows anything about the laws for this. I am desperate and don't know wat to do. please no hate messages i know this is bad but im going Through enough and don't need people hating on me anymore....

ashley41

Asked by ashley41 at 12:48 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• A felony for cheating?! Um don't think so, no. Your soon to be ex husband could use it against you in the divorce hearing though.
    Anonymous

• Since he is abusive and you are married the assumption by the state will be he is the father. He can and probably will drag you through court and make you spend money to prove this child is not his. He will use this against you in court so if you have not documented his abuse you could look like the bad guy. Depending on the judge dealing with your divorce you could be negatively affected by this. They are not supposed to care about affairs but they do. Seems if he was as abusive as you say you would have taken all steps possible to divorce him before having an affair that is surely to make him more violent. That seems very off to me and is common to say to justify and affair. Since we are only hearing your side who knows what the actual truth is.
    Anonymous

• It is not a felony...but yes, It can be used against you for the divorce hearing. It may sway the judge his way but that is about it. It is good, Just be happy that you found someone who can treat you right!!
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 12:54 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Contact a lawyer in YOUR STATE and get that divorce going right away.
    Anonymous

• its not illegal . if it was the jails would be full of cheaters not killers .
    Anonymous

• It's not illegal, but he might try to use it in a custody battle. Do you have proof of his abuse? (Hospital records or police files?) That could help you to make your own case. If you are separated and living in different homes then it's not as bad.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 1:24 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Who told you that was a law? I've never heard of that before. And it would be pretty hard for them to convict you for it anyhow.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:25 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Keep the pregnancy quiet as long as possible.
    Get the divorce as quickly as possible.
    Get a lawyer.
    Anonymous

• i think if he can prove your cheating then he could use it against you in court but, if you have proof of abuse then the judge will be more understanding if you don't have proof of abuse then the judge is more likely to side with your ex and give your ex custody. because you ex could state that you are thinking of only your self and bringing strange men in to your sons life which is not healthy.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:51 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Whoever told you that it is a "felony" to cheat was yanking your chain. However--get a lawyer and get a divorce immediately, and don't tell your ex that you are pregnant.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:01 PM on Jun. 12, 2009