feeding an infant a bottle more than an hour old

A friend of mine is a new mother and she is bottle feeding. I also bottle feed my daughter and I know, a bottle is not good for more than an hour...i mean, it's on the label! But my friend will feed her daughter the same bottle all day until it is finished or after it has been sitting in 90 degree heat for a good two hours. I am worried about the baby because she is more than a month old now and has only gained two ounces since she was born. I don't want to step over boundaries with telling her what she is doing it wrong.

Does anyone know how I can go about telling her without offending her?
And what are the health risks of feeding a baby a bacteria infested bottle? Everything I have researched has just said it could make the baby sick.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• On the labels for Enfamil Lipil (which I use) made formula is good at room temperature for 2 hours, unless feeding has started. If she has started feeding, it's good for 1 hour. It's good in the fridge for 24 hours.
    Now, feeding the same bottle all day, or leaving it in the heat like that could make the baby sick...how sick, I'm not sure but who would take that chance? I would just keep telling her, point out the directions on the labels, print out info about it, and hope she listens eventually. If I were there I would dump the bottles that I knew were old and potentially harmful to the baby.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 12:54 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Sounds like your friend need some education...A baby more than a month old should have gained more then 2 ounces. I would say something to her, the baby is not gaining enough weight prob because of the milk not being good. If it is cost she can get on WIC, that will help her with the formula. If you go to her and nothing is done, can you go to another family member. Sickness, dehydration, and prob an infection could come from not feeding the baby correctly.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:55 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• she should have breastfed
    Anonymous

• Well, the fact of her actually not even finishing a bottle is alredy cause for alarm if she isn't gaining..then to add to it is left out formula..is just nasty. Maybe when you are with her and see a bottle sitting out, casually pick it up and say.."ewww, this smells funny, has it been sitting out long? You want me to get her a bottle of fresh formula?" Then sort of get on up before she has time to say anything and get a new one. Then mention how you can't stand let out milk...that you are glad your baby will finish his bottle in a few minutes and then you can wash the bottle...because the thought of bacteria sitting in a bottle with their saliva breaking it down and growing stuff in just makes you quesy. And make a big deal out of it and act like you had an Aunt(or whatever) that would let her kids bottle sit out and how the kid was sick from it. (basically lie) tell her but shift the blame on another and she might get it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:01 PM on Jun. 12, 2009