• In the Spotlight:

Switched from formula to milk, now 2 weeks later having problems

Now my ds who is 1 is constipated and isnt that interested in milk, so I have added extra cheese and yogurt to his meals to make up for the milk...but I am at a loss, do I need to switch to a different kind of milk to help witht the constipation problem.

franklynnsmom

Asked by franklynnsmom at 12:52 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter screamed after every cup of cows milk. At first, I thought she was just complaining that it wasn't formula but then i tried soy milk and everything got much better. Try something different. Soy doesn't have the hormones, it has more calcium and vitamin d plus you can get the kind enriched with dha and omega 3s. I feel good about the soy milk she drinks.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 9:45 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• They only need about 2 servings of dairy a day. Dairy if given in too much can cause constipation and anemia. Make sure you stick to the appropriate servings.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:58 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Cheese is very binding...I agree try limiting the dairy in take some and add more fruits and whole grains.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:09 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Okay the cheese is definitely not helping the problem. My son had issues around 18 months when he weaned from the breast and I started giving him cow's milk. I just cut out the dairy and ever couple weeks I would try again. Around 24 months he no longer got constipated. Up until they I made sure to give yogurt and other dairy products that didn't seem to bother him.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 2:44 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Give him a sippy cup with water, and make sure that he is eating a variety of healthy foods: fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, lentils, tofu, etc.
    Remember that cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 8:02 PM on Jun. 12, 2009