I am 21 years old and I just found out that I am pregant . This is my first baby and I have no idea what to expect or how I am supossed to feel ?

Asked by Anonymous at 4:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Buy the book "What to Expect When You're Expecting" TODAY. More info there than you can imagine.

Answer by suzannekk at 4:28 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Those books to me and more of a reference guide, most of the stuff in there were for extreme circumstances or for older women, multiples, etc. I would pick up the Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy, I think that would be more age appropriate and relative. However, there is no real guidebook, no one can tell you how to handle "I've been up for 48 hours with a baby that won't sleep for more than 30 minutes at a time and I want to cry my heart out" Of course there's tips out there, but we're all learning. One experience is different than another. I hope that you have a good pregnancy and a healthy baby, if you ever want to talk, let me know. Hope it helps, good luck!

Answer by NomadSara at 4:34 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Expect to be tired. You will be moody and forgetful. You'll get weird aches and pains and over-think every possible aspect of your pregnancy. This is all normal! You might feel as though it's unfair that you can't do a lot of the things you want to do and used to enjoy doing simply because you're pregnant. You'll get tired of wearing the same 3 outfits because nothing else fits right anymore. It will feel like more than you can handle at times and it's easy to let it all pile up, but take it one day at a time. Focus on the day at hand and not the months ahead. Be grateful that you have been given a mind and body strong enough to create and nurture life. It's still gonna be scary and overwhelming, but trust me, in the end, it's all worth it.

Answer by bltcahill at 4:49 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Expect that the first time you feel your baby move inside you that it will bring tears to your eyes...Its truely amazing :)

Answer by dmn09 at 5:38 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• If you really want support(because books are terrible at that) you should really check out your local midwifery community, they are a much better choice than the hospital setting. I have a deep loathing for hospitals and their practices, and since finding my midwife I have been very pleased by the time and effort they have spent with me.

Answer by babyloverami at 6:18 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• They explain to me everything, they dont tell me what to do or that "you need this, you need that, were going to do this or that" they actually sit me down(they do housecalls) and explain to me what everything means, they give me a choice what i want done and what i dont, when in the hospital setting it would have been mandatory(i've had two such tests so far). If you arent sure what you have gotten yourself into, then I would seriously suggest checking them out, for your well-being, santy, and baby's safety. Because it would seem that hospitals  were the safest place to have the baby, when in reality it is almost the opposite.

Just Google Midwife and you'll find some good information.

PS I am referring to Direct entry Midwives, not lay midwives, or Certified Nurse Midwives. DEM's are not tied into the hospitals as much as Certified Nurse Midwives are. Check out google.

Answer by babyloverami at 6:20 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• The Pregnancy Book: Month-by-Month, Everything You Need to Know From America's Baby Experts
    by Martha Sears
    is a GREAT book!!! What to expect when you are expecting is a great book to read if you want to continualy scare yourself!

Answer by Lynette at 6:41 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• For a good laugh, pick up Jenny Mcarthy's "belly laughs". there is truly nothing in there that is actually worthwhile other than the fact that she is so blunt and ridiculously funny about the situation it will make you feel like you aren't the only crazy pregnant lady :) I was 20 when I had my daughter(21 now). We can't tell you what you should be "feeling". The only thing I can say is to make sure you have a good ear to bend when you need it, a good doctor that you can bug 24/7 (mine got tired of me I am sure!), and enjoy the next few months as much as you possibly can. Being pregnant is a pain in the ass, but it is so precious at the same time :) Good luck, and I would be more than willing to talk if you need and ear :)

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 7:30 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Well everyone's pregnancy is different. You could ask 200 women and get 200 different answers. You may be tired, you may be sick, you may not be either one. You may start showing right away, you may not show until later. You may have horrible mood swings, you may not. You might get stretch marks, or you might be one of those women that I hate and not get one!! LOL!! "What to Expect When You're Expecting" is a great book for explaining all the what ifs and any weird things you might be feeling and when you wonder if it's normal or not. I can promise you this though, the first time you feel your baby move, it is the most amazing, wonderful feeling and you'll never forget it!! Best of luck and congratulations!!

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:35 PM on Jun. 21, 2008