CERVADIL- Good or Bad?

My Dr. wants to induce me tues. starting with cervadil that night and all the other fun stuff wed. morning. My husband's cousin is an OB nurse and told me that if I do cervadil it almost guarantees a c section. All of my friends and relatives that had to use it said it was sucessful. Tell me your experiences with it or stories you've heard. I would appreciate any advice!

HarperLove316

Asked by HarperLove316 at 12:54 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My question is why does the Dr want to induce, are you over 42 weeks gestation, is the baby or you having health problems?

I would listen to an OB nurse before others, believe me, they know what Dr.s do and the reason why. Most of the time it is for their convenience, not your best interest.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:01 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I had cervadil  to induce the birth of my second child. It worked quickly, but I still had to use potosin. It was successful, and had a good vaginal birth.

The nuirses and docs were surprised. They said cervadil often results in a c-section.

mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 1:03 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Is there a "real" reason your doctor wants to induce you? Why not just let your body do the job it was made to do instead of taking the baby when it is not ready? And almost any type of induction will end in c-section if your body and baby are not ready.
    Anonymous

• They used Cervadil on me the night before to soften up the cervix and then pitocin the next morning. I almost had to have a c-section because I wasn't progressing. It happened with my first without the cervadil so I don't think that was the reason. You could google it on the internet to prepare yourself.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 1:05 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• they used cervadil on me && I was still able to have my son vaginally.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 1:18 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I was induced with cervadil at 5pm and went it to full blow labor by 6:30...after 17 hours of labor I had to have a csection becuase of weird coiencedences. I am pregnant now and I just hope with this one I'll go into natural labor.
    luvsgriffin

Answer by luvsgriffin at 1:20 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• ok people she didnt ask you your opinion on whether or not she needs to be induced so that isnt the point here!

To answer your question... I know alot of people that have had cervadil and NONE of them (including me) have had to have c-sections. I do know people that went in to natural labor that ended up having sections and I know people who were induced that had sections but NOBODY that i personally know that used cervadil ended up with a section
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:41 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• One of my friends used cervadil and then potosin the next day. She had a sucessful vaginal delivery. They used some kind of bubble? in my to make me dialate and not cervadil and potosin the next day and I ended up having a C-section.
    My guess is that it really depends on the person. And if your body is ready to have a baby or not. If your body's not ready then you're going to end up having a C-section. Thats just the way it goes...
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 2:42 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I THOUGHT CERVADIL WAS JUST USED TO SOFTEN THE CERVIX NOT DILATE IT REALLY IT
    eSnA2008

Answer by eSnA2008 at 8:31 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• From everything I've heard I believe I've decided to go with what my dr. wants to do (given I don't go into labor before tues.) and we'll just have the cervadil and start pitocin the next morning. No two situations are exactly the same... so I'll just go into it with that open mind that ANYTHING can happen, and no matter what procedure they decide on, at the end of it all we'll have a baby. :)
    HarperLove316

Answer by HarperLove316 at 9:31 PM on Jun. 12, 2009