Pacifiers...

When if ever did you first give you're baby a pacifier? I gave one to my daughter after she was two weeks and had no problem taking it away at 9 months... Now that I'm expecting my 2nd I'm debating on whether I'm going to introduce one at all. ( I'm not breastfeeding... and couldn't with my daughter I pumped so she had a bottle from about 2 weeks on.)

mizsaxton

Asked by mizsaxton at 12:56 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• Lot of babies have a non-nutritive sucking need that lasts until 18 months, sometimes longer. Meaning they need to suck on something and not have milk coming from it. I introduced one essentially at birth and my son expressed a desire to suck to sleep. It has been shown to decrease the risk of SIDS. And I can assure you...they can be taken away, even at 2,3 or 5.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:06 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Some of mine used them some wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole. Each baby is different so it's really hard to say when to give one. But I had one that found a paci at a year old and was instantly attached and used it untill he was three (he was the only one who had one that long), some took it for a few months and then had no interest. FOllow your babies cues, they are pretty good at letting us know what they want/need.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 1:06 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• They have been proven to reduce the risk of SIDS and are just natural for baby's immediate comfort. I see nothing wrong with them
    My DS wouldn't take one at first, we bought different kinds TRYING to get him to want one. Now, he likes to have one in the car or if he is tired (he 11 months) and I will probably get rid of it when he is one.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:17 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• i was like you, gave my dd a paci at about 2 months old b/c she didn't sleep well but took it away when she was 5 month i think... they don't NEED one, and i'm not giving my son a paci when he's born unless he has a hard time falling asleep like my dd did
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:24 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• oh & another thing, i took it away b/c i didn't want a 2 year old running around with a paci in her mouth, talking with it in there it's silly they're too old for that
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:25 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My 2 year old...DID NOT run around with it. He DID NOT talk with it. He had immpecable speech and his teeth were opposite of "buck". I never had any paci. I was off a bottle before one, and I had "buck" teeth. I know kids that never have paci's with horrible speech and bad teeth....so, new excuse, please.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:28 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• alright, i didn't say your kid talked with it nor did i say he couldn't speak well NOR did i say anything about buck teeth i said that I didn't want MY 2 y/o running around with one trying to talk with it in her mouth, i didn't say shit about YOUR kid so chill out you always have to be a bitch about something don't you? i just don't see the need in a child older than one to have a paci.. JMO
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:34 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• i gave one to my daughter at about 3 months, and took it away at 9 months..she didnt need it..she could care less if she had it..plus i didnt want her getting attached to it, cuz i hate seeing any kid over 1 yr with them..and even worse once theyre 2-3-4-5 and theyre walking around with them..ohh helllllllllllll no!!!! i give parents such dirty looks when i see that!! i cant help myself!! they look ridiculous!! up to a year fine, after that no no no no no no!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:37 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• watch out alexis, you're next on bradenismyson's rampage LOL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:40 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Our rule is 1 year of age and it is gone if not before. Our son broke himself at 10months b/c he was only allowed to have it at bedtime. I only gave it to him b/c he has such a strong sucking reflex and my boobs were being used as a human pacifier.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:56 PM on Jun. 12, 2009