How often should parents go out without their kids or their spouse?

My husband and I agree that we each need time to ourselves to spend with our own friends, but we can't decide how often we should do this. It used to be occasional (we'd each go out alone about once each month), but lately he's wanted to go out once a week. He encourages me to go out with my friends one night during the week too, but I feel like we don't get that much time together as it is. I'd rather be home spending time with him than out without him most of the time. He often works Saturdays in addition to his regular 5 day work week. Do you think that once a week each is a good amount? Or too much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• I think if you have the money and nobody is neglected, then yeah it can be a good think. once a week would be fine.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 1:10 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• It's whatever works for you && whatever you're comfortable with. Personally, for my SO && I, once a week would be too often. We go out once a week together without the kids, but as far as without each other we don't have a set amount. In the 9 mos we have been togther, We have been out about 3-4 times without each other. I think it's definitely good to have alone time to yourself, you just have to find a balance that you are BOTH comfortable with.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 1:11 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Once a week for the two of you but is he also wanting you to go out one night with your friends and then he goes out one night with his friends? If so that's too much. If he's working 6 days a week and two of those days he's going out that's two days he's missing with the kids. Dh and I try to go out once a month at least. He works 5 days a week but occasionally 6 and 7 so he'd rather be home with me and the kids than going out.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 1:18 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• me and hubby had a date night every friday w/o baby dinner movie whatever and then least once a month with other friends w/o baby or sig. other
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 1:22 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• For us that would be too much. How old are your kids? Well, I should ask what "going out" means exactly? Is it a couple hours to happy hour and then home by 7:30-8 or is it an a wild all night thing? DH plays in a golf league every Wednesday night, which puts him home around 8:00, instead of usual 6... I go to pilates classes on Saturday mornings which takes me away about an hour... I also do a girl's night dinner maybe once every 2 months. We do things together alot, we do family walks at a local park or we go to the gym (they have child care) and work out together. What we lack is time together without the kids, that would be nice once in a while.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:23 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I think once a week together, without the kids is good. But alone maybe once a month.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:45 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My hubbie and I have our friend time once a week then every other week we take our time together. We have sundays that is family day we spend it together but no its not to much
    raurismomma07

Answer by raurismomma07 at 6:16 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Depending on the age of your kids, as often as you can. It's good for parents to spend time in the adult world without children and indulge in adult conversations. I especially think it's important that parents have nights (or mornings, or afternoons...) alone together to reconnect and recharge. You don't even have to go out, just send the kids to grandma's for a few hours in the afternoon and take advantage of the empty house!
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 5:27 AM on Jun. 15, 2009