What is the best way to show a child how to make good friends?

My son is 8 in second grade and he claims to have friends, but he comes home and tells me that other children often exclude him and even try to get in to do things that get him in trouble. I've given him advice to stay away from certain kids, and to find someone else who looks like they might be more willing to play with him. I've given him strategies and scenarios on how to approach others ( such as asking them if he can play rather than just jumping in) and I've told himall about social no-no's and personal space. Either he doesn't want my advice or it's not working. He's a cute kid and (not to toot any horns) probably the brightest in his class. I also make sure he doesn't dress like a "dork", so it's not like he looks funny, and he has the same humor i've seen other kids have, so he's not really weird. I don't get it.

mumma28

Asked by mumma28 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have you spoken with the teacher about any social issues that he is having?

Answer by rkoloms at 4:16 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Maybe you could sign him up for some activities like cub scouts or sports? He might be able to make friends with another child who enjoys the same activities.
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 5:22 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• yes the teacher knows and the school social worker is working with him, signing him up for things is great, but we dont really have the money, next year though im going to make sure we do, he really just wants to fit in with kids in his class, we have some kids in my social network that he can play with, schedules considered, it's really on the playground he has a hard time. im starting to think that kids are just mean
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 9:39 PM on Jun. 12, 2009