Parents with special needs children or children with disablities??

I am 29 and have a daughter who is disabled and also have 2 other little ones and sometimes I feel like I am 50. My back hurts I am getting wrinkles and grey hair. I have heard that parents with children that have disablities of any kind age faster because of the stress. So my question is...do you feel that you have aged faster?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• My sister is 30 doesn't have a child with a disability and still is getting wrinkles and gray hair. May I ask what kind of disability your daughter has.
    Anonymous

• Gosh did I say my Daughter?? I am sorry I meant to say my Son, see how tired I am. He has Spinal Muscular Atrophy Type II. It is just an awful disease, his mind is fully functioning and his body just isn't.
    Anonymous

• I have a SS who is PDD-NOS Autistic and a DS who is hard of hearing... and a husband who is ADD, refuses to be on medication, and is hard of hearing as well... So, yes, sometimes I tear my hair out trying to keep our house organized, on schedule, calm, and still able to accommodate all of the disabilities in the household. The boys are still young, but I can feel my body loosing the fight against my natural patience in some cases. My mother got a full head of gray hair by the age of 21 due to my oldest brother having seizures. I hope to try and not let things get to me as they get older. I give you luck. I don't have the gray hair, yet... I hope not to as well!
    Kenre

Answer by Kenre at 3:30 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I have a 6 year old Daughter with Spinal Muscular Atrophy Type 2, she has been on a ventilator since she was 1 years old, she is also feed via G-tube. I have a two year old son that is ADHD and has Autistic Tendencies (hes a Rocker) and My husband had ADHD and I myself has ADD, plus I have another baby on the way..lol I was 23 when I had my daughter and I have just learned to roll with the punches, I dont feel old beyond my years I still dont have any grey hairs or wrinkles (knock on wood) Yeah there are days when I wake up and I just want to run away and scream, but I think every parent feels like that at some point. People always tend to look at parents of disabled children as super parents, in a way I guess we are we sacrifice alot more when it comes to time,relationships with our spouse and other children, but its all worth it .
    MobTownDerbyGrl

Answer by MobTownDerbyGrl at 10:55 AM on Aug. 25, 2009