• In the Spotlight:

What's the difference?

There are people who claim that certain other people are evil, sinful, and not to be trusted, such as homosexuals, anyone who is not a Protestant, and anyone who is the wrong nationality or color.

One of those people was Hitler. He convinced thousands that homosexuals, Catholics, Roma (gypsies), Pagans, intellectuals and people with darker skintones were evil and out to destroy them through corruption. This resulted in the mass torture and slaughter of all these kinds of people. The others are certain outspoken modern Christians who view those who are homosexual, Catholic, Pagan, "liberal" intellectuals, or happen to be born brown in an Arabic nation as evil tools of Satan.

Both claim God and the Bible are on their side. What's the difference?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• those moms only get a handful of cafemom people

Sadly there have been demonstrations and petitions all over the nation to prove otherwise. I think what's most disturbing isn't so much the homosexuality thing - not that it isn't bad - but the pure hatred for Muslims. You can make the argument that someone knows a homosexual and doesn't realize it, and if they knew they'd change their stance. The judgment against Muslims is made based on nothing but wardrobe and skin color. There is no chance they'd ever get to know one because they refuse to try. You can't even stealth one in to teach them the error of their ways. And they can't even differentiate between a practicing Muslim and someone of Arabic decent who, for all they know, is Episcopalian. If they look like Jesus, they must be evil.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:51 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Hitler was a humanist, even though he was raised catholic. I don't know of any christians who think that homosexuals or certian ethnicities are "evil". I do know that the bible says that homosexuality is a sin but certianly these people are no evil, just sinners, all everyone else.
    Maybe there are some people that claim to be Christains that beleive this, but they are wrong and these things they claim are not bibilical.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:02 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I am religiously unaffiliated. Wars are fought over religion. It scares me to see arenas full of people who think they have all the answers. There are many stories of followers who start out with good purpose but continue to follow even when things turn bad. I think of myself as a freethinker, not a follower or believer, just in case.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 2:03 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• A lot of people like to claim that people like that "aren't Christian". Well, what the hell are they reading, then? They open Bibles just like everyone else. The KKK and Westboro Baptist Church people are Christians. In my opinion they're no worse than Hitler. It pisses me off when Christians are so scared to be affiliated with these people and are so quick to scream "THEY'RE NOT CHRISTIANS!", but yet they're some of the first ones to call ALL Muslims terrorists.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:11 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Both claim God and the Bible are on their side. What's the difference?

I can claim to be anything i want.

If your not following the scriptures than you dont have god behind you. Its as simple as that the KKK claims to be Christian.

Yet the bible says Peter opened his mouth and said: “For a certainty I perceive that God is not partial, 35 but in every nation the man that fears him and works righteousness is acceptable to him.

So they are not true christians. You dont kill ANYONE for you are only killing a brother or sister. We are all gods children.
    Anonymous

• Whatever you say?
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 2:18 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• If your not following the scriptures than you dont have god behind you.

Hitler, the KKK and many Christians here in the Q&A section use scripture to defend their condemnation of homosexuals, Arabs and even Catholics.
    Anonymous

• You can claim to be whatever you want. Your actions speak louder than words. Do you strive to be like christ in all your ways? Yes we are imperfect we will make mistakes. Im not hindu but i can say i am. You can fool all the people all the time. Theese people are not christian and that is CLEAR from their actions.
    Anonymous

• How about when the Puritans tortured the witches during the Salem witch trials. classic.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 2:21 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• People can say they are Christian and still not have Christ in their hearts. SAYING you are something doesn't make it so. A lot of people claim Christianity simply for appearances - I know quite a few, as a matter of fact, that do just that.

That being said, I can't say that people like Hitler, the KKK, and others AREN'T Christian, because I don't know what's in their hearts. For all I know, they may actually believe they are doing the right thing. That doesn't make them less of a Christian. Delusional, maybe, but no less a Christian.

I can only speak from personal experience. I've been told many times that I am not a "true Christian" or that I must be a "closet Pagan" because of some of what I believe. It hurts - a LOT - because I KNOW what's in my heart, and I know the relationship I have with God - and nothing can or will ever break that. So because of that, I will never say that someone is "not a Christian".
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:06 PM on Jun. 12, 2009