Toddlers in the delivery room?

What are your thoughts?

I have a 3 1/2 year old and will be having a baby in July. We would really like to have her be apart of the delievery but dont want to scare her. I plan on having and EPI just so im not in pain and she isnt scared.. what i was wondering what others thought and it anyone has ever experienced this? I know that some people support this and some dont EACH THERE OWN!

BallardMomma

Asked by BallardMomma at 2:00 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I dont see anything wrong with it. You know your child and if she'll be able to behave well enough for a delivery room.
    If i were you i'd show her lots of different kind of birth videos and i would discuss each one with her so that she isnt scared by the unknown. talk to her about how it might seem like you are in pain but that this is okay. and that most mommies have to do this and everything will be okay. Also, you might ask her if she wants to be there and let her know that she has the option of leaving and make sure that you DO have an alternative place that she can go to if she does make that choice.
    GL
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:05 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Myabe she can visit you in delivery a few times and come in after the baby is born so you can focus on the delivery and not worry what she is seeing or thinking...IDK I've never really thought about it.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:02 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Its not something I would do. My daughter will be almost 4 when this baby is born and I wouldnt have her in there. Even with an epi, seeing that, especially not completely understanding what's happening, IMO would run the risk of begin too traumatic. Not to mention (for me) I would be too focused on her comfort than what I needed to be focused on.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 2:03 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Also she will be leaving and coming through the process and there will be family there who want to tend to her.. So this is a ++
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 2:04 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Not a choice I would make. She would be bored in that little room for the most part and as for the actual delivery, I don't think it is developmentally appropriate. May freak her out. I would have her visit and when you knew the time was near have her in the hall and let her in as soon as the cut the cord.
    Anonymous

• I'd not do it. There is blood and mom's bottom with a baby coming out of it. It would be easy to worry then about what happens in a toilet. I think it is too emotional a time for a young child.

Answer by Bmat at 2:06 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• i don't think my daughter would be able to handle it shes 3 1/2, my son is 3 weeks old, she came to see me in the hospital a few hours after i had him (i had a scheduled c-section so had to get out of recovery) and we had a bday party for her baby brother. i bought mini cupcakes the day before i went in and a little 0 candle, and we sang happy bday she blew out the candle. then she gave him a stuffed zebra she had picked for him, and he gave her a puzzle. she loved it and i think it helped her with the whole new baby thing, even if it didn't she had fun. we even had a few nurses in there singing and eating cupcakes. :) i think seeing you struggle and have to work so hard to have him, pain or not, she may resent the fact that the baby is hurting mommy, don't know that she would understand she came the same way.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:10 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• ya i wouldnt let my daughter come in with me..i wouldnt wanna ruin that experiance for her, cuz although it can be scary and loud..lol..it is amazing, and i wouldnt wanna ruin that for her...

yesterday i was at a dairy farm with my daughter..and you can go and pet the cows and stuff..and there was a cow that went into labour as we were there, so we stayed to watch, it was so exciting..as the calf was coming out half way you could see him moving his tongue and shaking his legs it was amazing!!! and then once the cow stood up to drop the baby calf..it didnt move..and it died..my daughter who is 5 was tramatized!! now obviously thats not gonna happen with you..but..still..i wouldnt let kids in to witness that sort of experiance...maybe video it, and show her one day..but not LIVE!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:14 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I have a 3 year old daughter and I'm due in October. I will not be having my daughter in the room when I give birth. I think it's a bit much for her, plus I think it's not the place for a kid. But that's just me.
    Deidra08

Answer by Deidra08 at 2:15 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Also forgot to add.. We live an hour away from the hospital and anyone that would normally watch her will be there with me... So she really doesnt have a choice to be there. Also she is way smarter then most kids. She understands we are having a baby, and that mommy will be in a bed all day. We took her to the hospital a few weeks ago i had to get some test done. I sat her down and told her this is where her sister will be born and that she has to be a good girl to be there. If she acts up once she will have to leave. We were there 3 hours and not ONE time did she act up. She sat and colored, watched TV, played with some books. Asked mommy to hold her for a min. She was a total angel... Im not worried. Thanks for your thoughts ladies.. Ill let ya know how it goes!
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 2:37 PM on Jun. 12, 2009