• In the Spotlight:

Staying home alone

Is there a law about what age kids can stay home alone? How old is old enough to babysit? I know it depends on maturity of the kids, but is there a law for each state?

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 2:16 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It depends on the state and maturity level of your child. In Wisconsin they recommend 12, but it also depends on how they can handle emergencies, etc. My son was 10 when I started leaving him for less than an hour and by the time he was 12, he stayed home all day for a couple of days here and there. He is now 13, he stays home alone all the time.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:37 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My neighbor is 14 and he stays alone for about 2 hours until moms gets home from work.
    Anonymous

• It depends on where you are.
    Most places have vague laws that say that a child can not be left home alone or in the care of an older child in an unsafe situation and/or for more than a certain length of time. It's up to the parent to decide what is "unsafe" for their child.

Many people believe that the laws state a child must be 13 or older but that is an internet myth.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:32 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I was home alone beginning around age 11 for short periods of time. But I'm not sure .
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 2:53 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I started staying home alone when I was 9 but only because my parents are addicts with dirt track racing and I hated it. I would bawl when they made me go and my sisters wouldn't stay home with me. so they finally caved and let me stay home alone for about 4 hours and it was fine. but there's no way in hell I'd let my kids stay home alone at that age for any amount of time. I'd say probably 12 I'd consider it
    saralouise

Answer by saralouise at 7:19 PM on Jun. 12, 2009