• In the Spotlight:

Does Ignorance Drive You CRAZY??

No matter what religion is being discussed, be it Pagan, JW, Catholic, Mormon, Islam, Buddhist, Satanist, Athiest or any other. Someone always posts "Facts" about the path when they have no clue what they are talking about?

I just came accross an answer to a question where someone said that Satanists shouldn't be parents because they'll just kill the baby for a sacrifice. One said witches just want money and attention and that's why they cast spells. Then there is the ones about how JWs and Mormons are all cult members. The list continues forever...

I've seen these rediculus posts about every religion, not just one. Why do people post things as fact when they obviously have no idea what the fact is? Why not just post it as an opinion, or not post at all...

Am I the only one that is driven up a wall with this stuff? I mean don't post something as truth if you don't know what the truth is.

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 2:22 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I mean don't post something as truth if you don't know what the truth is.

You can't expect someone to tell what they think they know from what they really know if they accept everything that comes from their church as factual. Most of the misinformation is peddled in sermons, spam mail and tv ministries. As long as someone can attach a scripture to it, there will be some fool who will believe it.
    Anonymous

• This is why I choose to be religiously unafilliated. I think it's all made up. I find it so boring when people quote from the bible as if that makes it all true.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 2:26 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• sp unaffiliated

writeon

Answer by writeon at 2:28 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Some brat might reply to this and say, "Well DON'T ANSWER in the religion section if it bugs you so much!" Like they always do but I totally agree with you.

People have different levels of education and experience that lends itself to their opinion and some are not free thinkers or critical thinkers at all...maybe they didn't learn how? As long as readers take their dogma with a grain of salt it should be fine.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:29 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Yes, that is why I spend so much time in this area. As a Christian I also see a lot of misinformation about Christianity, the Bible says....and it's no where in the Bible. It's just some traditional teaching that has been repeated over and over. I also try to reply with Scripture.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:33 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I think its willful ignorance that most bothers me.... Those who have their fingers in their ears and sit there "nya nya nya", or thumbing their nose at you, not caring what you have to say because they're "right", so right that they needn't bother with you, and they believe themselves more than worthy of looking down on anyone who doesn't agree with them....
    I don't mind people's opinions - its their attitudes and the way they treat others - and when they intentionally try to perpetuate mere prejudice or bigotry, stating things that aren't factual (not talking about right or wrong, as that's subjective, in terms of belief, but actually stating things that literally are not factually correct, if that makes sense) and claiming them as truth, insisting that others believe it as well, and judging those who try to state what IS true...
    Yeah, that bugs me more than anything....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:34 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I dont see it any worse than usual. Sure there are a few attacking post but many others that give facts.
    Anonymous

• Yes, religion drives me crazy.
    Anonymous

• I think what bothers me the most is that there are people that post her with legit questions that are here to find out the truth about one thing or another. And then they see things like that. And the ignorance spreads...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:42 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• yea Sabrina...i also see a lot of pot and kettles
    Anonymous