HELP ME...or I won't survive the summer with my sanity!

This is a 2 parter...

1) Now that my son (8) is home for summer(since Mon) it has been ww3 in my house. Every lil thing his sister (5) does sets him off and he's screaming and fighting...and if he does something to her ..ie-pokes her...she escalates it ... ie-hits him...she's had enough and has started fighting back.I try to keep em seperated, but that only lasts so long...they both wanna be with me. How can I keep some form of peace?!?

2) He is constantly hungry... I mean all the time... now he's not "big" ...but he's going to be if this continues. I made him a ham n cheese sandwich, chips, and 1 small can of oranges for lunch...1/2 hr later he wanted another sandwich...I made one but now he wants another! (and he ate 3 bowls of cereal for breakfast) What do I do? I don't want him getting overweight, but I also don't want him feeling hungry.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• As to the first part, I have 5 kids and when my sanity is at its limits, they go to separate rooms. But also, there HAS to be a consequence for your 8 year old putting his hands on his sister and also for the sister when she fights back...theres a zero tolerance policy on putting your hands on each other in my house. Im all for rewarding good behavior, I do this too, but doesnt cut out the need for consequences for bad behavior. For my 8 year old, his consequence is usually no screen time for the rest of the day, no tv, no video games, no computer, no DS, nothing with a screen. But you know your child best and what consequence would hit hime with him.

Its the second part that really hit home with me. My 8 year old is just coming out of a year long growth spurt. I kid you not...all of a sudden he started eating 2-3 helpings at dinner time and constantly hungry throughout the day. He went from a size 6 pants (cont)
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 1:38 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• 1) Maybe setting a schedule, like library visits on Monday, museum on Wednesdays, pool fun Fridays will help with the fighting situation. Make a weekday chart and give them a sticker for every time they are "caught" doing good things, like playing nicely together or saying "please" and "thank you" to one another. When they fill a day with five stickers, they get to have a day out.

A daily routine might also be beneficial. Chores are a great way to pass time and encourage team work. Things they can work at together: washing dishes, laundry, sorting socks, etc.

Board games are a good way to encourage civil communication. Playing tag, red light-green light, hopscotch, lego play, and follow the leader are also good ways to get them working together.
    happy1mom

Answer by happy1mom at 3:04 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• 2) Here's a good site with lots of useful info on his diet.

happy1mom

Answer by happy1mom at 3:12 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Sounds like you need to get a routine down for your kids. That might help. As for the eating he is possibly getting ready to go into a growth spurt. I know my kids eat like crazy every so often. My 10 yr old had 3 bowls of ceral for breaksfast, 2 sandwiches chips (2 helpings) 2 apples and juice for lunch. I am about the same for dinner. Now he doesn't do that everyday. It's just every so often and usually I'm having to buy him some new clothes or shoes after he goes into an eating spree because he grew. I hope this helps.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 3:51 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Keep the house stocked with healthy foods (no junk, no white bread, no processed foods): lots of fruits (with yogurt for dipping) and veggies (with hummus or salad dressing for dipping); whole grains, bean, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:13 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I JUST NOTICED...I FORGOT PART OF THE FOOD QUESTION...MY SON HAS ASPERGER'S AND I HAVE HEARD THE OVEREATING COULD BE DUE TO THAT.
    Anonymous

• at the beginning of the school year to a size 8 at the end, and before that, he went from a size 4 to a size 6 over the summer. My advice is if he's hungry, feed him. As long as he's being active throughout the day rather than being a couch potato, it really cant hurt him. Id do as pp suggested and keep some healthy foods around for when he gets hungry between meals. Good luck!
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 1:41 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Make his sandwiches with whole wheat bread and give milk instead of soft drinks or juice.Offer carot sicks and apple slices and whole wheat crackers and cheese and even wheat cookies and sweets.I like whole wheat fishy crackers,teddy grams,even pretzels for snacks,the best brand for them are snyders of hanover lower in sodium.His cereal should be high in fiber like wheaties,mine eats bran flakes you could try raisin bran,add a sliced bananna or apple with it.I think your kids are fighting because they are bored,having activities planned out for them throughout the week will help.You could buy some pens and paper for your daughter or paint,or silly putty, clay and other things she likes to do, same for your son.I would take them to play dates with a moms group near by at your parks or visit the zoo and other amusements.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 6:16 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• When my 8 & 3 1/2 y.o. are going at each other, it's usually because they are bored and/or can't entertain themselves any longer. One day, I decided to try exercise and I found that if we all go for a mile walk, it tires them out, freshens their perspective (and mine) and they then seem to go do their own thing again.
    my2chickletts

Answer by my2chickletts at 2:21 PM on Jun. 15, 2009