How to prevent ear infections

The doc is giving my son one more chance before they send him to a ears, nose, and throat doctor. He is 14 months and has had ear infections about 6 or 7 times already. He's also had allergies, rsv twice, and pneumonia. Is there anyway to help prevent ear infections?

yaffamommy

Asked by yaffamommy at 2:25 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Tubes are not a bad thing. My daughter had them once and never had another ear infection again. Some children have them a couple of times. What is happening is the fluid from the sinus cavities is backing up into the ear canal. The pressure and pain from the infection is treated from drainage (tubes) or medicine. Finding the cure to the allergy is the best way to prevent the infection But in infants it is hard to do this. The allergy is not enough to detect by testing until three. So its process of elimination. Tubes have become the best tool to help ease this. The fluid build up can also cause a delay in speech. Think of it this way: Its like holding your head under water and trying to hear. The sounds are muffled. The fluid in the ear does the same effect. The most important advice I would say is try to prevent the allergy attacks. If this is not under control by the time the tubes fall out then the tubes will do no good.
    brantley999

Answer by brantley999 at 2:55 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• So its allergies that causes it? I did not know that
    yaffamommy

Answer by yaffamommy at 3:05 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My doctor advised using swimming ear plugs in my dd ears when she got her bath. It helped.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:39 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Tubes can be a wonderful thing. If a child gets too many ear infections in a short amount of time, it can cause hearing loss. I really don't think there is a way to prevent ear infections. Some kids are just prone to having them. You can keep them away from people that smoke, 2nd hand smoke causes ear infections. Don't let them lay down with a bottle. Allergies can cause ear infections, the sinuses and ears are connected. Lots of luck!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:57 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I heard tubes are not that bad. My son has allergies and RSV 2x but NEVER had a ear infection.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:59 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Try eliminating dairy. This is a common contributor to ear infections and other allergy-related issues, especially when dairy was introduced before the child turned one.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:46 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Ear infections are caused when the congestion from a cold cannot drain properly and it sits, allowing bacteria to grow and creating the infection. If kids are prone to them, they are prone to them. Unless you can keep them from getting colds (or cold like illnesses) there is no way to prevent the ear infection.

Tubes are not the end of the world and you don't even know if it will go that far yet. Your pediatrician is proactive and is on top of things. Chronic ear infections can also lead to speech delays or articulation difficulties, so doing what you can to solve the problem is better than letting things go too long.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:58 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• The same thing happened to my son. After he gets his bath take a cotton swab with alittle alcohol on it and clean his ears. Since i have started doing that my son hasn't had one and its been since april since he had one.
    JacksMommy2008

Answer by JacksMommy2008 at 9:43 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I read a book called DON'T DRINK YOUR MILK> Stopped giving my children milk and the number of ear infections decreased bunches. If it is allergies, I give my son a natural supplement that has drastically improved and stopped his symptoms. Message me if you want that info.
    jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 8:30 PM on Jun. 16, 2009