What car seat should I get?

My son is almost one and I want to get his big boy car seat. Should I keep him rear facing after he turns one. What car seats are the best?

Jaydensmama44

Asked by Jaydensmama44 at 2:32 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• rolling on floorWOW you are going to get alot of answers on this one! LOL Its a personal thing but some advice is to pick something app. for your car size! You can google and look at ratings and comments from other buyers. Hope this helps

kcriswell

Answer by kcriswell at 2:36 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• You HAVE to keep him rear facing until he is 1 year old AND 20 lbs so if he hasn't hit 20 lbs yet then YES you HAVE to keep him rear facing. It is safest rear facing as long as possible and mine were rear facing until they hit the weight limit on their car seat which for the first was about 20 months and the second was about 16 months old.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 2:37 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• It's best to keep your child rear facing as long as possible in a convertible seat. So my advice would to keep him rear facing well past the age of 1 year for his safety.... most seats can stay rear facing until 35 lbs. (look up some info on extended rear facing)
    There is a wide range of really good convertible seats out there... here are a few in price order (low to high)
    Cosco Scenera, Evenflo Triumph Advance, Graco MyRide65, First Years TrueFit, Britax convertibles
    All are good seats starting from around $50-$300.
    I would stay away from any convertible that is a 3 in 1 they tend not to last as long as they should (they don't fit children well) and you end up having to buy another of the same type of seat.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:31 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Some good seats will rear face until 35 pounds which is what I am doing with my DD...she's 9 months and just outgrew her infant seat...we are getting the Britax Boulevard, which even though it is expensive was top rated and has side impact and Click and Safe....most people will say that they are all the same b/c they have to pass the same tests which is true, but if it has an added safety feature, then that's what Im getting....It's about $329 in the store but you can get one in the box brand new on Ebay for $279 with free shipping. Just do your research, read reviews and make a decision based on that....a lot of people tell me Im wasting my money, but it's my money to waste and I want the best for my daughter...good luck.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 3:43 PM on Jun. 12, 2009