Switching from soy formula to milk?

Ds is on soy formula. He couldn't tolerate regular, lacto-free or even Nutramogen. The lady at Wic said most babies on soy can switch straight to regular milk at 1 yr. I'm concerned though because even with the lacto free I'm afraid he'll still get sick. I tried giving him the regular Enfamil Next Step and he was spitting up within 5 minutes of taking a couple sips.

Has anyone dealt with this and what did your doc end up doing? His appointment isn't for another month.

DaffysDoll

Asked by DaffysDoll at 2:35 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Kids' Health

• you can call and talk to your dr on the phone. also try and give him a lottle cup with jsut a couple ounces of milk. see how he reacts to it. my sons have done jsut fine with the switch but they werent on soy. if anything u can use the soy milk....its called silk i think
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 3:45 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• talk to your dr!! the wic people rely mainly on memos not education! they dont mean harm... they just arent drs. my son has to drink soy milk, he get bad ecsema spots if he has dairy. we like the plain silk with added calcuim and omegas. it really is better for you than cows milk for many reasons since your baby had problems with multiple dairy formulas i wouldnt just give them cows milk.
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 4:04 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Call the doctor. The people at WIC are nutritionists, not doctors. If your child can't tolerate milk based formula then he probably won't be able to tolerate milk. I would just try a little soy milk and see how he does with that. Always check with the doctor when it involves allergies or allergy type issues.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:55 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Try almond milk. :) I dunno.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 8:07 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Doctors generally know very little about nutrition. This is why you don't see a doctor to learn how to eat properly when you have allergies or diabetes.
    Cow milk is for baby cows.
    Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. Here is what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html
    Harvard School of Public Health, on the Consumption of Dairy Products (2005):
    “The recommendation to drink three glasses of low-fat milk or eat three servings of other dairy products per day to prevent osteoporosis is another step in the wrong direction. … Three glasses of low-fat milk add more than 300 calories a day. cont. reading here: www.milksucks.com

Answer by rkoloms at 1:45 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Do not listen to WIC!! You need to listen to your pediatrician. You know, the one with the MEDICAL degree, the ones who don't base their opinion on a website called "milksucks".

My son had no trouble switching to regular milk (and he doesn't even say "moo" unless asked what a cow says), however, he didn't have a sensitivity to milk products. If your son had problems tolerating milk based formula, I would definitely talk to your doctor about it first. He may have ideas of how to slowly transition him or to hold off for a while and put him on soy milk for a bit.
    Anonymous

• Six of my Seven could only tolerate soy formula, but when it was time to switch to cows milk they had no problem. Most of my friends who had kids on soy milk also had no problem. Just try it and see, a little gas in the begining is perfectly normal.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 4:07 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I'd just check with your doctor. But personally, if my son was on soy formula, I'd put him on soy milk when the time came to switch. The Silk soy milk I drink has more calcium in it than the milk my DF drinks.

And it comes in lots of tasty flavors. My favorite is very vanilla. :P

And, it's generally a bit more healthy than regular milk.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 4:35 PM on Jun. 14, 2009