vegetable and Fruit????

When can i start feed my baby Vegetable or Fruit?

Amanda142

Asked by Amanda142 at 2:38 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Understand that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 3:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• 4 months, doc told me to start feedin my girl baby food veggies first.
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I always started vegetables first, so they'd get used to eating them, when you add fruits later they will love the sweet taste of them, if you start with fruits they may not want to eat the vegetables later.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 3:34 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• we started around 5 months. I definitely agree with robin start with veggies.
    mariaria

Answer by mariaria at 3:54 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• 6 months.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 4:02 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• OH and it if you are Bfing you might want to do fruit first since BM is so sweet anyway.
    MoonLover06

• Somewhere between 4-6 mo. The newest information says that it really doesn't matter what you start first - fruits, veggies or even meat. As long is it is finely pureed and you use the 4 day rule in between new foods (i.e. start Pears for 4 days, then add Apple to the pears for 4 days, then add sweet potato to the pears and apple for 4 days, etc.) This is just in case baby has a reaction to food...you'll know which one it is too...the new one.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:14 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Food does not have to be finely pureed. That's a myth. It just needs to be tender and they can mash it between their gums.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 4:34 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• my doc told me fruit is fine to eat but babies dont need veggies until around 6 months or after. they cant really help them but they can potentially harm their kiddneys. if your baby gets a kidney infection, the veggies let in too much protein and can keep them messed up.
    smurfm14

Answer by smurfm14 at 12:54 AM on Jun. 13, 2009