Why does my infant stop breathing

My son occassionally stops breathing. I have spoke with his pediatrician and she says it is normal. The baby will stop breathing for around 10-15 seconds then cry and stop breathing again. This can happen 3-4 times per episode. Everytime it happens i take him to the doctors and she says it is normal as long as the baby doesnt turm blue it is okay. The baby can turn red and purple but if he turns blue i have to call the ambulance and start CPR. She doesnt want to do any other test because they can only do an X-Ray which she states he is to little to be exposed to the radiation. I am desperate to find an answer. I have been searching the web but all i find is sleep apnea and this occurs while he is awake not alseep. Does anyone no what is going on with my baby?

Cee0816

Asked by Cee0816 at 2:53 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is he? My son did this several times. I stopped getting my son his shots (for reasons other than the big autism scare) and this never happened again since.
    Anonymous

• He is six months old and has been doing this since he was 2 months old.
    Cee0816

Answer by Cee0816 at 2:59 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My son did something kind of like that, when he would start to cry, he would all of a sudden not breath, then, he would stiffen...pull his arms up by his ears(posturing)....his stomach would sink in...he would go from blue to grey to a muddy color. He also made a sort of grunt wheeze sound. And his eyes would roll back into his head. We couldn't pry his mouth open to breath for him...he was too stiff to do anything to him....and we would shout his name and give him a little jerk....after a minute or two, he would all of a sudden gasp in alot of air and lay in our arms and wimper for a bit. He did this about 5 different times between ages 1 and 2....he hasn't done it since and he is 13.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:01 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• You may want to consider delayed vaccinations then.
    Anonymous

• My oldest son would do that when he was six months and did that until he was 4 years old. The doctors did many test and said when he would cry he would forget to breath and diagnosed him with breath holding spells. But this is different because he can be fine and just stop breathing from one second to the next.
    Cee0816

Answer by Cee0816 at 3:05 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• He isnt due to get anymore shots until he is 1 years old.
    Cee0816

Answer by Cee0816 at 3:06 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My daughter was a preemie and would do this it wasn't sleep apnea, but just apnea spells. 1 thing to try is flick the bottom of his foot when he does it...it should help bring him out of it. Once she turned blue and needed a blood transfusion...due to her prematurity so most likely not your son's cause. If it does worry you you can ask about an Apnea monitor, but it is heavy and annoying at times. A band goes around their belly and wires connect it to a machine that will alarm when the baby stops breathing. Best of Luck!
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 3:10 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I would make the doctors run blood tests to make sure everything is normal. Maybe they should be checking his circulation and heart function just to make sure there isn't anything wrong there. Be aggressive about it. You are your sons only hope...pediatricians do not always see the symptoms as something serious. They always want to point it at something common.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 3:11 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I do think there is a couple of reflexes in some babies that for whatever reason their brain thinks it needs to protect the And in older children, I have seen it be intentional (But I think yours is too young for that) Take note of what he is doing before and during these esposides. Is he upset and crying, is the air suddenly cold (fan or ac), is he near water? I would also be looking for a second opinion.
    darcibeisheim

Answer by darcibeisheim at 3:14 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Young babies have periodic breathing where they don't breath for several seconds at a time and then will breath raipidly and that type of breathing is normal.
    Also some babies will have periods where they stop breathing if they have reflux... if you baby seems more spitty at time than normal it could be why... you may not see the spit up everytime but stuff could be coming up and causing your baby to stop breathing for a minute while they work it out and swallow it back down.
    or your baby might do it if he is crying really hard.
    When you notice your baby holding his breath, blow a fast puff of air in his face... it stimulates a reflex to gasp.
    If your baby is aleart the whole time I wouldn't worry much about it at all though...
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:26 PM on Jun. 12, 2009