I don't get it...can you explain it to me?... Every theory is a self-fulfilling prophecy that orders experience into the framework it provides.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• hmm i must be blond cause i dont understand it either
    Anonymous

• lol...I tried to look it up but I can't find anything.
    Anonymous

• I get it, but I don't know how to explain it. Say that you suspect that you will gain weight over the holidays. Since you already think that you'll gain weight, when that cookie plate goes past, you shrug and think well I knew I'd gain weight, so you have the cookie, or more. Same thing with heaping your plate at the Thanksgiving meal. "Well I KNEW I'd gain weight." So you gain weight.
    Or, say you feel that you just can't learn a dance. You take a class, but you KNOW you can't dance. So the teacher talks, but you don't really listen since you know you can't dance, when the music starts you close up your mind and get nervous and embarrassed, which makes you clumsy, and then this all makes you feel even more that you can't dance. So you move away from the dance floor and watch, but that is not the way to learn. and you've just proven that you can't dance. But if you had said to yourself that you are (cont'd)

Answer by Bmat at 3:11 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• cont'd

that you are going to learn to dance, then you'll relax more and keep trying, because you KNOW that you can do it.

Answer by Bmat at 3:12 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Another way to think about the statement is that if you have a theory, then you selectively note down everything that supports the theory, but you disregard things that don't support the theory. If you are thinking of a friend, and the phone rings, and it is the friend, you think that you must be psychic, since you were just thinking of the friend. However, you are ignoring all the times you thought of the friend and the phone didn't ring. (not meaning any insult to psychic people, just trying to illustrate.)

Answer by Bmat at 3:16 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• You manifest it!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 3:30 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Thanks "Bmat"!
    jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 4:44 PM on Jun. 12, 2009