sleeping

How much should my 2 week old daughter be sleeping? I swear she would sleep for 24 hours if I would let her. When she is awake she is very content but is still very sleepy. Is this normal?

lillysmama2008

Asked by lillysmama2008 at 3:46 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The first few weeks thats all they do but once they get a bit older they grow out of it and settle into a nap routine. Just make sure ur baby doesnt get their days and nights mixed up because my baby did and it was a hard habit to break.
    Nychic155

Answer by Nychic155 at 3:48 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• babys at the age will sleep the majority of the day. Just wake her every two to three hours to eat. It will take a few months before they are awake more often
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 3:49 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Very normal. Let her sleep. She'll wake up a little more each week until she's up more often during the day. My 13 mo. old still sleeps 11 hours at night and between 3-4 hours during the day.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:08 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Totally within normal range. My first daughter wasn't anything like that, so I was very surprised that my second wanted to sleep constantly... I even woke her to nurse sometimes, and she'd go right back to sleep. We'd be excited at the end of the day that she had "a couple of good half-hour stretches of awake time"!!! Don't worry at all. And my sleepy newborn is now a very alert, active 9 month-old (who still enjoys 2 good naps during the day).
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:14 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Very normal. Babies that age sleep most of the day. You're very lucky. You can get all the rest you need right now :)
    Mommy2Ava3509

Answer by Mommy2Ava3509 at 4:51 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Its funny to me how mother's complain about being so tired when they have newborns. That's all newborns really do is sleep. Totally normal. Wait until you baby won't sleep 'cause they are teething or has an ear infection, ect. My baby is 10 months old and she's teething really bad and never sleeps 'cause her teeth hurts and wakes up all hours of the night and is cranky all the time. Now, is when I am tired! I'll take her being a newborn any day over this!
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 9:26 PM on Jun. 12, 2009