rules of sleeping while pregnant

why is it only best for pregnant people to sleep on their left side? the only one i really understand not doing is sleeping on your stomach.. but what's the harm of sleeping on your back and on the right side? i just try to fall asleep and that makes me happy.. which usually im on my left side but kinda rolled over and to where im sleeping on my chest but not my belly i prop up on a pillow then use one to put between my legs or under my right knee if its propping me up too..

rainylittlebug

Asked by rainylittlebug at 3:51 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• your baby gets better flow from the umbilical cord when your on your left. I had trouble with it while i was pregnant myself(i'm a big tummy sleeper so it was hard for me) they say that sleeping on your back will give the baby a higher chance of wraping the cord around her neck. Sleep whichever way is most comfortable for you, as long as its not on your tummy
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 3:55 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• up until about 20 weeks with my twins i slept in whatever position i could fall asleep in. i too couldn't see why certain positions were recommended over others. I recently came to find that there is an artery that runs through the abdomen into the back that if compressed can cut off blood flow to you and the placenta. left side is best. I do turn in my sleep and sometimes wake up very short of breathe and on my back, when that happens i immediatly turn to my left and elevate my head and it stops.
    TWOMUCHFUN09

Answer by TWOMUCHFUN09 at 3:58 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• If you are having compression on your Vena Cava inhibiting blood flow, your body will stir and you will turn over. You can try falling asleep on your left side, but don't worry about shifting positions in the middle of the night.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 4:07 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Sleeping on your left side allows for the best circulation, but unless you have poor circulation it really isn't an issue. As far as I'm concerned the rules for sleeping while pregnant should be, if you can get comfortable then sleep in that position, especially later in the pregnancy. By the time it would be really bad to sleep on your tummy it is really uncomfortable so you don't do it. Just use lots of pillows to prop yourself into what ever position is comfortable and get some sleep.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:06 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I didn't ever understand this either because i tried sleeping on myleft side but always ended up on my back. My daughter was fine I know they say that the cord could get wrapped but i didn't have that to worry about i guess i was lucky idk. i'm pregnant again and keep wanting to sleep on my belly and have to keep telling myself to sleep on my side. Like one post said if you do get on the artery that supplies blood flow to the baby you will know because your body has a way of letting you know when something isn't right and you will flip over off your back.
    pandora09

Answer by pandora09 at 6:12 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• there is a vein or something in ur back and supplies the blood flow from ur lower body to ur heart. Thats why no sleeping on ur back, check out babycenter.com under pregnancy and go under like sleeping positions or laying on ur back or something under that category. it also cuts stuff from ur placenta
    Anonymous

• I've talked to my doctor and she said that I could sleep in any position I wanted as long as I was comfortable and able to get to sleep. She said there isn't anything wrong with sleeping on the tummy cause you have all that fluid around the baby so it's safe and once it gets a point were it might not be safe you're most likely not going to be sleeping in that position at all anyways. As for left or right doesn't matter to much. There is a major artery and nerve on the right side of your lower back, but you'll shift naturally during sleep if it starts to cause any problems. I know I sleep better on my right side than my left... always fall asleep that way and wake up that way.
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 4:32 AM on Jun. 14, 2009