Did you *really* enjoy your baby when they were two months and younger?

I'm a first time mom. I've been battling PPD since I had my daughter. I can honestly say that I didn't enjoy her when she couldn't do anything. I mean, yeah, sure, I love her to death, but I felt like tearing my hair out more than once in those early days. She's now 5.5 months old and I love playing with her and interacting with her. I sometimes wish I could have blacked out and skipped those first few months. Would've saved me a lot of heartache and suicidal thoughts : /

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 4:05 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I had PPD as well and my DD had colic i felt the same way like maybe I wasn't meant to be the mother of a newborn and that I wished I could've skipped the first 3 months.
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 4:08 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I know I'm not alone, and I wish more people would be open about it, yanno? Like you said, not all of us are meant to be moms to newborns. Some people just looooove that round the clock 24/7 total dependency thing that newborns require, and others don't. I hate being honest sometimes though, because I get a ton of "OMG YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE HAD KIDS OMG" responses.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:11 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I did with my first 3 kids, but my youngest was another story. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy him, I was just terrified something would bad would happen. He has Down syndrome and even though he has zero health problems, I was just worried. Now he's a rambunctious 6 year and I feel silly for being that way.

Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 4:12 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• i had days where i thought she was the best thing other, than other days when i called her a demon spawn, and i'd get yelled at by everyone going don't call her that shes 2 weeks old! now shes 3 1/2 and they are all like yup shes a demon spawn, i keep telling them, i'm just the only one who saw past the cute newborn stuff to the real devil inside. :) but everyone has their phases they wish they could have skipped over, for those that its not the newborn it may be toddler, if not teens or preteens...theres always some aspect of parenting that you don't like
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:18 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• i loved my kids at that age! all they did was eat sleep and poop. yeah they woke up every few hours, but i got to sleep when they did. and it helped with my dh helping out. my ds is 2 now...oohhh there are no words for that age! lol. terrible two's barely half covers it. my dd is 10 months, and she's good too. she doesn't crawl yet, sometimes that's aggrivating, some days it's great. i don't have to chase both of them, lol. i think it'd be easier with my dh here during terrible two's, but he's deployed.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:31 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My first daughter was so colicky at that age and I was in so much pain from my emergency c-section and probably battling a mild form of ppd at the same time, too... I enjoyed the idea of her, and I loved her, but no, I didn't find being a mom much fun. There was a HUGE difference once she started smiling, interacting, and figuring out her body a bit. No, you're not alone! (My second, I admit, was such a perfect little sleeping angel who fit perfectly into our chaotic lives by sleeping the days and nights away, that I enjoyed her quite a bit at that age!)
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:38 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• DD had milk and soy protein allergies and reflux so all she did at that age is scream. Otherwise yes I would have enjoyed the cuddling, the kisses, the nursing. But once she was about 5 months and we got her on meds and everything else straightened out it was a lot of fun playing with her.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 4:43 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I still have days where she drives me nuts, but I did enjoy her at that age. I was amazed that she was this little person and how every little thing was brand new to her. I would cry over the thought of her getting just a minute older- yah hormones but still. It was really hard and very stressfull a lot of the time, but I just took the good moments and held onto them when I was overwhelmed. She wouldn't nurse or nap or sleep so I was constantly drained and at the end of my rope, but I would look at her and just say "you're worth it." It got me through. Its good that you can be honest with how you feel- we all had those days!
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 4:44 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I have had PPD with mine as well, my first 2 I felt like that with, and then the guilt that I would feel that way on top of being upset and feeling nothing was right...horrible first few months. With my last one I mentioned it to my Dr and he had me started on antidepresants before I left the hospital, it was acompletely different feeling, I loved the first few months with my daughter. THe meds really made all the difference.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 4:51 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I pretty much hated it until he was about 4 months and really got more interactive. I love, love, love 7, 8, 9, 10 months so far. I tell my husband that with the next one, as long as I can get through the first 4-6 months we will be fine.
    Anonymous