Almost 2 year old problems with sleeping

Ok so ever since my son has learned to climb out of his crib it has been such a hastle getting him to bed. I ended up getting one of those crib tents that goes over it and he ripped that to where he could get out again. I've tried everything and it's a dread when nap time comes around or bedtime at night because I know i'm gonna be fighting for him to go to sleep for 2-3 hours. I recently changed his crib into a transitional toddler bed so at least he was safe to get in and out of his crib but now things seem even worse. I've tried every strategy, walking away, reading a book, a bath, turning off all lights and noise, rocking him, cuddling him in my bed untill he falls asleep and NOTHING works. I end up turning into devil mom and spanking him until I feel so bad I just can't do it anymore. He doesn't cry when I put him to bed he just seems to have so much energy still and I can't get him to calm down. Any tips ne one?

ladyluck829

Asked by ladyluck829 at 4:07 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I see my future in your story....ugh.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:13 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Maybe he just isnt tired yet. Reduce any sweets to only early in the day and that includes juice and chololate milk. Make sure he is not napping too late in the day or for too long. And maybe he might be ready for a later bed time. I knoe some moms have their kids go to bed at like 7pm....thats too early unless the kid is getting up at like 4 or 5 in the morning.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 5:02 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My daughter also has to go to bed later. Do a bedtime quiet routine. Bath, pjs brushing teeth, stories. No TV or sweets. turn down the light some so it isn't as bright.
    valerie0103

Answer by valerie0103 at 5:21 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• my son was in a toddler bed at 15 months and that helped, he doenst get out of it unless he is just waking up, you could try that
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 6:30 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• my kids go to bed early but we are all up early. i am strict about bedtime and nap time. i make sure we are home in plenty of time to eat lunch and get ready for naps, and in the evening we also stay home. they know what to expect- dinner, play, bath, indoor quieter play, then read a book and go to bed. no sugar or caffeine in the evening (well no caffeine ever). i have a 4 yr old and 1 1/2 yr old. keep being consistent, keep putting him back to bed... good luck!!!
    kelinnh

Answer by kelinnh at 9:13 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• This seems to be an issue with 2yo boys. You could try eliminating the naps and moving up his bed time, then return to napping when he is a bit older and put it as a "chore" on his chore chart.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:15 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My 2 year old DD still doesn't sleep through the night and needs to nurse to fall asleep. I think some kids are just wired differently, and there is only so much you can do, because like you, I have tried EVERYTHING.

THere is a good book that may help you called The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elisabeth Pantley. She has the regular version, and one for toddlers. Which one to get really depends on your child. The original IS geared more towards babies, especially nursing ones, but the other one is a bit geared to older, preschool aged kids. Both books will give you a good foundation and I think I'd recommend both, or if you just want 1 the toddler one.

Good luck.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 12:53 AM on Jun. 13, 2009