What are the details of the smoking regulation bill the Senate passed?

I saw something about it on the news this morning. Anyone know what regulations they want to enforce?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 4:14 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• There was a question asked yesterday called "Legislation of Cigarettes" I believe.. youll be able to find it in page 2 or 3 if the person didnt close it yet. Theres a link in there that it explains it pretty well. Basically they want to only have black and white ads, rid flavored cigs (except menthol), etc.. I just scanned through the article because I was headed to bed...
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 4:26 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• From what I saw on the news this morning over half the packageing will be warnings. Also no more use of "lights" or "low tar". If they find very harmful additives they may ban the additives as well.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:42 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Off the top of my head, black and white ads only in things kids may see, reduction of nicotine, can't use "light" unless they can prove its less harmful (I don't understand that one, regardless of how harmful, lights have thicker filters so they aren't as strong tasting or as harsh The name still applies, it just doesn't mean what they want it to mean). Bigger warnings on the packs, and most importantly, a major industry monopoly for Phillip Morris, the only tobacco company supporting the bill. They think if it passes they'll be the only ones with the revenues to research and discover a "safe" cigarette, thereby putting all competitors out of business in the US.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:55 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• They are making the warning labels brighter and bigger. No more light or no tar advertising and no added flavors to the cigarettes. That is really all the changes that is happening. They still to not have regulation of the tabacco, that stays with the companies.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 5:41 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I wish they would take all the tobacco fields and all the tobacco farmers and send them into space. We don't need cigarettes. Period.
    Anonymous

• You don't "need" another cookie or soda or a fat juicy steak either we take in and comsume ALOT of things we do not "need" and are bad for us.Should the government make all our decisions for us?
    Anonymous

• Just look for the article full of crap. None of this is going to help. Just the fact they will be removing alot of the carcinogens from ciggerettes is going to have the opposie effect of what they are trying to do. Kids as well as adults will feel there is no reason for them to not smoke because they are no longer so dangerous. I think O is thinking he will be able to say he single handedly saved thousands of lives in a couple of years.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:17 PM on Jun. 13, 2009