Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long without contact to see or talk to my daughter is my ex aloud before I can take him to court for abandenment

My ex has supervised visit, I supervise them, he agreed to it in court. Anyway he doesnt call to see her or even talk to her. I was told if he chooses not to contact for atleast a yr I can petition the court to terminate his rights due to abandonment. I am not a attorney n dont expect on to answer this but I was curious if anyone knew the answer. Ive looked it up online n gotten everything but what im looking for. Thankyou

Answer Question

Asked by MamaOf3Girls09 at 4:31 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • It possibly varies by state. I'd talk to your lawyer but it sounds like a year from what you wrote.

    Answer by mrs_pulley at 4:37 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

  • Here in Oklahoma it is a year. We tried to do that with my ex, but he pays childsupport too (forced to they take it from his check) and we can't because he pays. So a year wthout any contact or support is what we have been told.

    Answer by AK_aries at 4:46 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

  • Most states, it's a year. But if he's paying child support, it's not abandonment.

    Answer by JPsMommy605 at 5:46 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

  • Varies from state to state and if he is paying child support, that is contact. I tried to have my ex's parental rights terminated because he had no contact for over 2 years and it was denied. My son is now 13 and has seen his father about 10 times in 13 years. Just let it be, it is so hard to get parental rights terminated, even when one parent wants it. (which my ex did). I would contact an attorney that deals with custody issues.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:11 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.