Question about vaccinations..

I was talking to my mother-in-law the other day and we were wondering if children who have not had all of their vaccinations are allowed to start Kindergarten? I dont know if the rules vary by state or how that works?

Im not trying to start a debate on wether or not to vaccinate..just curious. : )

Sorry if this question has been asked before..Im new!

Thanks!

YorkEricaL

Asked by YorkEricaL at 4:35 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I don't know for sure, but I'm doing an alternative schedule by Dr. Sears with the exception of leaving the MMR and Chickenpox out they are made with aborted fesus tissue.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 4:39 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• JCrestordeme: I have NEVER heard that MMR and Chicken Pox shots are made with aborted fetus tissue. Sorry, but that just sounds crazy.

In some states, you can sign a personal waiver before your child attends school and some states take the waiver. You would have to check what the laws are in your state. Also, don't believe everything you read, hear or see on the internet, tv or in magazines, etc.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:51 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• You can sign waivers. Every state has at least medical waivers, Most have religious waivers, and some have philosophical waivers.

And yes there are vaccines that were developed and grown from aborted fetal tissue, that's publicly accessable information.
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 6:39 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• my daughter is vaccinated...I was just curious if children that are not are allowed to start school. My mother-in-law and I were talking about the Law and Order episode with Hilary Duff..that is what brought this question up. I don't personally know anyone that has not vaccinated their kids so I didn't have anyone to ask.
    YorkEricaL

Answer by YorkEricaL at 7:02 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Here you can find the exemptions for every state: http://www.nvic.org/Vaccine-Laws/state-vaccine-requirements.aspx

Aborted fetal tissue is an ingredient in live virus vaccines. Here is the list of ingredients from the CDC:
    http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/B/excipient-table-1.pdf CDC's list of ingredients. Formaldehyde (known to cause cancer!), aluminum, polysorbate 80, mouse brains, monkey kideny, aborted fetal tissue (human diploid tissue)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 8:14 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Every state has a procedure for vaccine exemptions. It is not black and white, or vax or don't vax.
    We choose to selective vax on a delayed schedule. First vax after first birthday, one vax per office visit, single dose preservative free vaccines, read the insert before allowing the shot to be given

Answer by rkoloms at 1:41 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Autumn22, she asked about them attending kindergarten, not about the stupid ingredient list that YOU are so against.

Yes, there are exemptions, including religious and medical. A few states do have other exemptions, and there are always loopholes.
    Anonymous

• At my kids school they hand out a blank vaccination form for the parents to fill in. My children are vaccinated so I just tape a copy of their vaccine record over the sheet and hand it in. I do remember seeing at the bottom there was a waiver area for for not having vax.
    I would really contact your school/district and ask them about it to find out for sure.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:40 PM on Jun. 14, 2009