feel kinda guilty about forward facing...

my son is a little over a year old and is over 20 lbs, but the reason I have him forward face is because the convertible seat we have doesnt fit properly in my car rear facing (my backseat arches back, so he's be at an angle) but it fits snug forward facing. is this ok? I feel guilty after reading how the new recommendation is to wait till 35 lbs...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• Remember that a recommendation is NOT a law. I'm sorry that you feel guilty about forward facing your child and I hope you realize that there's nothing to feel guilty about. I forward faced my son at 16 months when we went on a long road trip and I was happy with my decision and felt no guilt, nor did I feel I was making an unsafe decision with my son. I'm a safe, defensive driver, but even that won't stop a drunk from crossing the lanes, hitting us head on and killing everyone on board...or not. I don't know the future and I won't make choices based on "what if" - my son loves seeing where we are going and love interacting with him when we are in the car. I hope you likewise learn to enjoy your decision.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 5:52 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• It sounds like in your car he's safer forward-facing. I wasn't aware the recommendations had changed... 35 lbs? Wow! My 2 year-old is only 27 lbs but she's 3 feet tall. How would that work!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:55 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• That can't be right....if those were the recommendations my 3 year old would still be rear facing and she is over 3 ft tall. I think you are ok, I felt bad about switching to front facing also, but with how you describe the angle he will be safer front facing. You should never have them in any seat that doesn't fit properly in your car.
    Anonymous

• It is different in different states. for the weight thing. We had our dd front faceing at 9-10months old. We asked the doctor and he said it would be okay, because she was getting fussy and would scream because she couldnt see anything but the back of the car..and it wasnt any fun for her. So, Doctors told us we had to do what would be a more peaceful ride for her and us as well. But, you dont have anything to worry about. I agree with the post above sounds like you are safe with your child the way they are. If it would make you feel better go have it looked at by your local fire department and see what they think.
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 5:02 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• In your case it sounds safer to FF but you are right about the 35 lb thing and yes it is safe for 3 yr olds to rear face as long as the head is beneath one inch from the top of the carseat. My daughter is 2 1/2 and can rear face. You may wanna join a carseat safety group. They may be able to help more.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like he is safer FF. What you are reading about is RECOMMENDATIONS, not laws. You have to do waht is safest for your child and what works safest in your car. There was just van-train accident in a city close to mine and if the child was ERF, he would have died. Because he was FF, he didn't have a scratch on him.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:08 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• You have to choose what you think is right.

As for a recommendation not being a law...I, for one, would rather follow an up to date safety recommendation from the researchers than a (possibly out of date) law formed by the consensus of politicians.
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 7:01 PM on Jun. 12, 2009