What would you tell a friend who hadn't decided whether or not she wanted to vaccinate her baby yet?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would show her my nursing school textbook photo of a child about to die from smallpox, and then explain that that disease has been eradicated by vaccinations.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't tell her anything unless she asked.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 5:09 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I would tell her to research it, just as I have. I would let her know I woulod help her get info if she wanted it.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 5:10 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I would tell her to research it as well, but to read up actual facts and statistics, not just mommy propaganda.

I personally would rather have an autistic child then a dead one.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't tell her anything unless she asks for your opinion. Then, I would tell her to educate herself and make an informed decision, not based on what the pediatrician says or what other mom's say. Just the facts, pure and simple.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 5:47 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I agree, I'd talk with her about finding as much research and data that she can find and we'd most likely have debates about it.. I chose to vaccinate my daughter, except for the chickenpox vaccine, but was forced into it when they made it required to enroll in school. When we gave it to her she ended up getting chickenpox, I was angry that I was forced into giving it to her against my will. Apparently you can not vaccinate against some diseases and not others, they just won't allow that. I believe that it is my right as a mother and an AMERICAN CITIZEN to choose if I want to vaccinate my daughter against a disease that is not serious.
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 5:58 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• momofkearra, it's my understanding, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but you CANNOT be forced into vaccinating your child against your will!!! I'm pretty sure, and again, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, in every state, you can sign an exemption form and it's legal!! I just signed one a few months ago when I refused to let my kids get the chicken pox and Hep C vaccine. I homeschool, but there are still legal requirements for vaccination, unless you sign the waiver. I live in PA, where do you live?
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 6:21 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• momofkearra, I just found this website and it shows that in EVERY STATE it's legal to not vaccinate if you don't want to!!!

http://www.nvic.org/Vaccine-Laws/state-vaccine-requirements.aspx

There are different rules per state, for vaccine exemption, whether it's for philosophical,religious or medical reasons, but the point is, you were lied to and shouldn't have been forced into vaccinating your daughter!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 6:24 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Research, research, research
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 6:52 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I'd suggest she talk it over with her child's father, and family members, she do research but let her know I am not going to advise what is best for her child as it's not my child and I won't be the one raising it nor dealing with any consequences from any parental decisions made, and vaccinating a child is a parental decision.

Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 7:08 PM on Jun. 12, 2009