Cloth Diapers

Who all uses or has used cloth diapers? If you do, why? What are the pros and cons? Have/Will you always use(d) cloth diapers?

rae.of.sunshine

Asked by rae.of.sunshine at 5:11 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I used cloth. The only time I used disposable was on vacation. I used cloth mainly for the environment. Less clutter in the landfills. And I felt it was better for the baby's skin. These days the disposable diapers are nice because they wick away moisture, so that is a huge plus. But I think that even today I would use cloth, once again because of environmental concerns. The environment is what my child will live in, after all.

Answer by Bmat at 5:14 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• We used disposables for the first 6 months, and then switched to cloth - and I would NEVER go back to disposables now (she's now 20 months- soon to be potty trained).

Cloth are better for cost, better for environment, cuter, smell nicer, no rubbish, no dashing to the shop, no diaper rash.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 5:16 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• i use cloth. i mainly use the "g" diapers with cloth inserts instead of their flushable ones. their website says it wont work but i have used this on 2 babes. i also have a bummis super whisper wrap that i really like.
    it is really not bad after you get used to it. i looked up info online about washing and such. (try diaperpin.com )
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 5:20 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I use cloth. They are much cheaper (I couldn't afford disposables if I wanted them), they fit a better size range, and I never run out.
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 6:50 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I'm planning to use cloth diapers with the wee one in my belly right now. My 3 year old is allergic to latex (like me) and couldn't use regular diapers. We got lucky and found the 7th Generation diapers but they were WAY expensive. I'm thinking cloth is the way to go!!
    paganmom05

Answer by paganmom05 at 7:08 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Babies have contracted toxic shock syndrome from disposable diaper; they been been burned after tearing them open.
    Cloth diapers can be nearly free (freecycle, craigslist, ebay, etc.), and you will have them if you have another child. Yes, there is more laundry.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:06 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Quoting rkoloms: "Babies have contracted toxic shock syndrome from disposable diaper; they been been burned after tearing them open." Wow! I never knew that. I don't really mind the extra laundry. Previously I had always thought that disposable diapers just made more sense. Recently I have been looking into cloth diapers (because of the high price of disposables) and it seems that in addition to the savings, cloth diapers really are a better option for babies. Plus, it's better for the environment!
    rae.of.sunshine

Answer by rae.of.sunshine at 5:32 PM on Jun. 13, 2009