Is it OK to donate dirty or stained clothing items to good will

I dont mean stinky clothes, just clothes that have been sitting out in the garage in boxes and havent been washed. My hubby wants to declutter. I would much rather wash them first, but I dont have the time right now. No bashing please!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• No, you should wash them first. Stained ones maybe, if the stains are slight, but not dirty. You're not helping anyone that way... just making more work for the goodwill employees.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 5:15 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• No, just take them to a laundry mat. It shouldn't take more than an hour and half. Goodwill Inds, spends thousands of dollars each year disposing of trash. If you don't want to take the time to take it to the laundry mat then throw it out so Goodwill won't have to.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 5:15 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Oh yes, wash for sure, perhaps your local dry cleaners has a laundry service. As for stained, that I don't know. Homeless people wear the stuff for a while then toss it, but I don't know about giving them stained clothing (some charities give to homeless people.)

Answer by Bmat at 5:16 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• No don't wash em haha I mean Goodwill is going to throw away any stained clothes anyway, plus I'm sure people who buy clothes from a 2nd hand store washes the clothes first before they wear them.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 5:43 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Many laundromats that have attendants do laundry service. It only costs a little more than doing the laundry yourself, they usually charge by the pound and they fold your laundry too.

Drop it off for the service and stop back by and pick it up and you don't have to spend your time doing it.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 5:51 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Wash it first.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:58 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Would you want to buy, stained clothes for yourself or your child? It is NOT ok to give stained or stinky clothes to Goodwill, they will just throw them out and it will make more work for the employees to have to sort through the stained and stinky clothes. Goodwill does NOT wash the clothes that are donated, they put them on hangers, tag them and hand them up. Please, don't give stained clothes and wash the clothes before giving them away.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:00 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I don't think you should have to wash all of that laundry if you can't find the time to.. don't over extend yourself, that is why they employ people at the goodwill, to take care of the donations that come through.. You're responsibility is first to yourself and your family, and then to the donated clothes, don't get it reversed. Were they clean when you put them in the garage? then they are clean now, just been sitting for awhile. If Goodwill washes clothing when it comes in, why would they not wash some and wash others? They'd have to be required to wash everything... think about it.
    Stained clothes, I wouldn't donate, but if you know of a homeless shelter they could use it.
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 6:05 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Donating to Goodwill
    HOW TO DONATE:
    Consider whether one of your family or friends would find your donation useful if you passed it on when you are through with it. That is a good rule of thumb when donating to any not-for-profit organization that accepts donations of clothing and tangible items from the public. Please note that we have not "fixed" donations for many years, and cannot use items that are broken, stained, missing pieces or damaged.

Goodwill gladly accepts clean, gently used clothing and small working household items at any of our retail operations and donation centers. If you plan to bring a large quantity of donations or furniture items, please contact the nearest retail Goodwill store to make sure that they have room to accept it. Our free-standing donation centers have limited space and are not set up to accept large bulky items, so the employees at the site may refer you to the closest retail store.
    kttycat84

Answer by kttycat84 at 6:07 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I got my reply off of the site for the San Diego Goodwill btw.....ran out of room to cite in my first post.
    kttycat84

Answer by kttycat84 at 6:10 PM on Jun. 12, 2009