What do we have to do to keep predators and other violent criminals from hurting and killing our kids?

With all the reports of children being abused and murdered--by strangers or someone they knew and trusted--what do we have to do to stop the "epidemic"? New, tougher laws? Give teeth to existing laws? Something else? What do you think?

LIZARD66

Asked by LIZARD66 at 5:29 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• there are usually signs when it is someone you know if the signs to look for. Other than that quit releasing them or put them down for the dirt nap.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:35 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• have them watch the news, let them see what happens after. inform them of the consequences and that some people out there are like that. this is why its so important to stress not talking to strangers. be a parent and monitor every move your kid makes.
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 5:51 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Rapists, murderers, child predators of any kind should be sent to the front of the line and put down like the rabid dogs they are........
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 5:51 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• IMO, child predators shouldn't even be allowed out in society. Either put them under the jail, fry their butts, or let the parents of the victims deal with them.

When these sickos are let out of jail, they shouldn't be allowed to even live in a neighborhood with children, and should have some sort of tracking device implanted in them so that if they go near a home with children, a school, or a playground, the police can nab them. The justice system is WAY too soft on these monsters. Megan's Law is wonderful, but it isn't enough. As far as I understand it, they only have to inform you if the predator lives on your street, not necessarily in your neighborhood. If I find out there's one living near me, I'd make them so miserable, they'd wish they were still in jail. We check our state's Megan's Law website frequently to see who the new ones are. These sickos lose their rights as soon as they decide to abuse a child,IMO.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 6:01 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• First off we have to start caring for our children at home. Most kids who are murdered, molested or raped are harmed by a parent or loved one. In fact kids are just as likely to be murdered by mom as dad. The kids who are harmed deserve real justice not plea deals. When a child is raped the person should get life without parole. If a parent is convicted of child abuse their rights should be immediately stripped and should get life without parole. The only way to protect kids is to finally lock up and not give the vile people a second chance. Maybe if the kids feel safe they will grow up to be productive citizens and not simply a new generation of criminals. I am a victim of rape, incest, molestation and physical violent. I have never committed a crime. I had love from my mom and made it through. Many of us don't have that and grow up to be the perpetrators. It is a vicious cycle.

Anonymous

• One strike and they get a short rope and a tall tree on the front lawn of the courthouse. Full view public hanging with lemonaide stands and roasted peanuts being sold on the sidelines! Wouldn't take very many of those to put a stop to it or at least cut it down to a trickle.
    Anonymous

• I just went on our state's Megan's Law website, and what scares the crap outta me is that alot of these pervs, have only got convicted in the past 2 years or less!!! What are they doing out of jail? I mean, there's one creep on there who got convicted of luring a child into a car or dwelling, only a few months ago!! What's he doing out!! You should have seen the list, there was about 20 of them living within a 15 mile radius of my house!!! Some of these monsters have been convicted of CHILD RAPE and they're OUT?!? Holy cow, people get more jail time for stealing a car than for molesting a child!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 6:15 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Be very honest with your children, I told mine that some monsters are real. Also keep them very, very close.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 6:39 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• We have too many parents with no commonsense, no interest in supervising their children. We have parents that are raising children with no ethics, morals, values or to even use the brain they were given.

Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 7:00 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• We need TOUGHER laws against predators and we need to talk to our children more. There is no sense in trying to sugar coat anything because we don't want to scare our children. We need to tell them that there are people out there everywhere who want to hurt children, and you cannot trust anyone !! You cannot "see" a child predator, the do not look a certain way, or have certain jobs, or walk and talk a certain way. They are everywhere, in all neighborhoods. Some people think they live in safe neighborhoods. There is no such thing as a safe neighborhood.
    summerdayz

Answer by summerdayz at 7:52 PM on Jun. 12, 2009