Would you homeschool your kids if you traveled a lot?

We are on the road all the time for work (family friendly) and once the kids reach school age, I am trying to decide if I should homeschool or if I should really work to have them in school and figure out he rest of the other aspects of our job.

Pumelo

Asked by Pumelo at 5:45 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Travel

• Oh, absolutely!!! I think homeschooling on the road opens up a lot of amazing opportunities that you just can't have any other way. At some point your children may crave a more "at home" experience, whether that includes public school or not, but you can always reevaluate then and make the changes necessary. In the meantime I think just going with it and enjoying it is the best course of action.

If you look up "roadschooling" (either as one word or two) you will find that there are some families who live at least most of the year in an RV and they share their homeschooling experiences on the road. Perhaps some of that could serve to either give you comfort and inspiration even if your situation is different.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 6:15 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I think that is a great idea! There are some many things, places, people, and experiences they will have on the road that will teach them far more than sitting in a classroom.
    Inkedmommy007

Answer by Inkedmommy007 at 6:34 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Yes...If my children were still at home I would homeschool them...
    7257PamLaFs

Answer by 7257PamLaFs at 7:28 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I would try it for a year and then decide. You may find you do not have the time to teach them properly or it is just not working out for other reasons. You will not know unless you try. I would think the earlier the better, that way if it does not work out, they are not too far behind!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 8:04 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• There's a good group on here called: Happy Homeschoolers, you can join and learn more from other homeschoolers.

I do home school my children, have for the past two years and will not go back to public school. They go through a charter school that is through a district, they meet with a certified teacher once a month that gathers samples of their work from the previous month, and they do state testing. I teach them, I pick out their curriculum, and it's enjoyable since there are times where we can go to parks or vacations and bring our work along with.

I know some for us it's a good thing that works well for us; however homeschooling does take work and family effort. I do not think it's for everybody, maybe as somebody mentioned before "try-it". Find out the laws in your state of residence and your options; maybe spend this summer to research.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 8:42 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I would definitely homeschool if we travelled often. With the military we move every few years but its normally in the summer or at the end of the school year. If we traveled frequently I would definitely homeschool my kids. I think traveling and seeing different things gives them a greater knowledge than just learning from a textbook, and it also is a great cultural experience, seeing how people in different places live. I would try it for a year or so and see how it goes.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:43 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Personally, I would have my children in regular school. But that is mostly because I know that I am not the best teacher for my children. If you think that you can do the job, then go for it!
    infantrychick

Answer by infantrychick at 3:50 AM on Jun. 13, 2009