the playground...

my son is two. and i watch him his every move.. but theirs other kids on the play ground how do you deal with rude lil punks? today we went to the park and this kid who was a couple yrs older than my son just like pushed him out of the way and of course the mother was no where to be found.. rawr!!

MommaBear1129

Asked by MommaBear1129 at 6:07 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I ask the children to remember that there are little ones here. Most of the time, the kids are shocked that I speak to (not yell at) them, but they've almost always listened when asked politely to not push. However, when on occasion they don't, I gently lead my son elsewhere where kids are making better choices, telling my son the specifics of why we can't stay there, generally loud enough for the other kids or any nearby parents to hear.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 6:16 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• oh i hate that we had my daughter at the park last night, shes 2 and the playground is for 2 year olds to 5 year olds, but there were tons of older kids there like 10 and 12 and the one little kid pushed my daughter down cause she was in his way, she was playing on this thing first and the kid wanted it so he pushed her down i was so mad! i just got my dd and took her to a different park. i was so mad and there were no parents around, and the park is just a big jungle gym with two slides, and a thing to bang on and make music, we live on a military base and there are parks all over but this is the only one geared towards toddlers!

Anonymous

• OH I had this problem a few weeks ago. My DS is 2 1/2 and we live at an apt complex with a crappy playground(has 1 slide, 1 infant swing, a set of gymnastics rings, and a metal half circle climber), a 5 yr old little girl was down there and they were playing well, until her 12 yr old brother & 10 yr old cousin came down and started throwing rocks at the 2 little kids, and spraying that sour spray candy all over all the equipment. I asked them to stop a couple of times, and they told me to shut the f*ck up, I wasn't their boss, and kept doing it. So I yelled at them. When they kept doing it, I went and told their grandma, who was at their apartment, whoa, was she mad at them! but they snuck back out of the house and kept doing it. I took my kid inside, and then they were messing around with my stuff(I have a normal plastic swing on a chain outside my door that is put up when I'm not out there, and other outside toys outside my
    britngavin

Answer by britngavin at 7:16 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• CONT... door). I told them to leave my stuff alone. They started swearing at me and being jerks. So, I called the complex manager. The result? The 10 yr old is banned from the property, and the 12 yr old has to be supervised if he's outside, and he isn't allowed to go by my stuff.
    Was is bitchy to do this? Probably, but I wasn't dealing with the little shits when they could've hurt my kid. A rock missed his head by about an inch. And I don't have the money to replace all of my DS's outside toys because they break them. So now, problem is solved!
    britngavin

Answer by britngavin at 7:20 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I don't hesitate to let my presence be known if my child is being hurt or harrassed by another kid!! I would tell the little bully to leave my child alone and that's the end of the story. If they go crying to their mama, oh well, Mama should be watching her kid, and not texting on her cell or whatever she's doing.

WHY do parents take their kids to the park and not watch them? That burns my butt!! Then they're the first ones to complain when another parent reprimands their kid because they were bullying someone else, or if they get hurt or something, they're ready to sue somebody!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 7:32 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• i agree with all you moms!
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 7:46 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Like beth said...I don't hesitate to let my presence be known either!

I don't like the fact that their children are not watched....its a sad thing...i took my little ones to the park and this little girl just started playing with my little one i didnt know where her mother was it
    I thought it was just me and my hubby and OUR kids there we didnt see anyone else, but she was like inside this building....she came out and thanked me for keeping an eye out for her child it tottally freaked me out. i was so close to call 911, because it was around 45-60 minutes before her mother came out of the building, i was already ready to go by 20 minutes but i didnt wanna leave the little kid alone she was only around 3 or 4 years old
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 9:00 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I definitely agree you can tell other kids how to behave if they aren't. You are doing them and the rest of us a service!

And do remember those of us who have more than 1 child (or brought friends for our kids) may be busy elsewhere. Maybe it is foolish to take them all out, but I have a 4 year old, 2 year old and 6 month old. Usually at a park, I can watch all 3 and ensure they are fine. Nobody has ever complained- they are well-behaved and I have caught their few issues. But sometimes I am helping 1 get sand out of her shoe and may miss what's going on with another for a few seconds. So, tell the kids nicely how to behave. And if somebody tells you to butt out, you can nicely tell them that you were just trying to help them!

I do know what you're talking about- have seen it at the mall. I only resent it when they aren't trying at ALL (everybody gets calls sometimes or loses focus) but totally ignoring does happen. Ugh
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 9:00 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I agree w/ all the above posters. What I do is I simply say to the kid whos doing something "remember shes just little so would u please no push her" & they listen. Sometimes they just need to be reminded that ur child is smaller then them & dosent play the same way they do. I explain things out to each child just like I do my own. I talk in a polite voice & if they dont listen to me & continue to diregard what I say I take it up w/ their parent. I have no fear to march up to another parent & tell them that they need to keep a better eye on their child & why. There r way too many parents that do not care & its completely sad but b/c they dont care I am not going to let that ruin our fun time at the playground.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:12 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My mother ran into a similar situation like that... but I was at the park with my little brother (he was 3. The kid who pushed him was 12) so being the over-protective sister I was... I chased that kid around the park and whooped his ass. Of course, publicly I got in trouble. But privately, my mother told me that it was great I looked out for my brother. But honestly, I don't know what I would do. If it were me (and I could get away with it) I would have strung the little turd up by his underwear from the swing set. BUT, I know I can't get away with it so I would inform his mother if you see her at the park the next time the little brat is there what he did and explain to her that her son pushing him COULD HAVE resulted in bodilly harm to your child.
    Mina2904

Answer by Mina2904 at 9:39 PM on Jun. 12, 2009