moms with children diagnosed with adhd

Has anyone's child been prescribed focalin? If so, did they do well on it or have bad side effects? Any help would be appreciated. NO BASHING, IF YOU WANT TO DISAGREE THAT ADHD IS NOT A REAL CONDITION, THEN MOVE ON.....

josiesmommy00

Asked by josiesmommy00 at 6:11 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My son wasn't on Focalin, he is on Vyvanse and it is amazing! It is the 2rd med we tried and there are much less side affects than the Concerta and Ritalin he was one. He has gained about 15 lbs since being on the Vyvanse. Each child responds to the different meds differently. What works or doesn't work for one child may have different affects on another child. Starting and finding the right meds can be a guessing game and take time. If the meds are working you will see a difference within about 2 weeks. It isn't an easy decision to make to medicate a child, but if it is truly needed, it is a huge help to the family and to the child's self esteem.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:05 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• i do believe its a real condition, but i also feel there is treatment other than medicating a child. i talked to a single dad about this the other day and he said he changed the diet of his child, began including less processed foods and integrated more natural foods. his childs behavior gradually got better and no meds ever needed. time, patience, and good health are the healing factors of the disease. i would read up on alot of information and get many opinions before having to medicate my own son on a daily basis. good luck!
    Anonymous

• sorry anon, i'm not being rude, i want to know if anyone else has had experience with focalin... thanks anyway but that's not what i was looking for
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 7:11 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Yes, both of my sons are on it (and for the benefit of anon, this is AFTER dietary changes and other changes that just weren't enough). My sons have responded very well to it. Neither of them has experienced any side effects, except possibly slight loss of appetite, but they've always been picky so it's hard to be sure. It helps them immensely. I was a little ticked off when my older son (who was the first diagnosed and treated) was put on it, b/c at that time it was brand new drug that had just been released to the market, and the dr. didn't tell me that. That info would have made me have them change his meds. But, it works really well for both of them, and it was actually the first and only med they have been on for it. My oldest has had to have 1 increase in dosage so far, and it's been more than a yr he's been on it. Hope that info helps you some.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:55 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source.
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:39 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• again rkoloms, not what i was looking for.

as for tyfry and tropicalmama, thank you :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:21 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I would just like to say, OP, that your question says "ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED." That is what the two moms you wrote off were doing. You asked for help and they offered suggestions.
    rae.of.sunshine

Answer by rae.of.sunshine at 8:32 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• rae, noone asked you to come up in here being a bitch, you post wasn't even related to my question, so go away
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:04 AM on Jun. 14, 2009