Is sleeping in her swing bad for her?

She has relux pretty badly and I'm scared to lay her on her back because of the possibility of her throwing up and choking. I know you might say that probably won't happen but it already did with us. She choked on her vomit, I didn't her anything but I just randomly went to check on her and found her not breathing and turning colors. She aspirated some formula but eventually started gasping when the parametics arrived and form there was breathing. I don't want this is happen inthe middle of the night when we are sleeping. She loves her swing anyways but is is okay? I mean what am I going to do when she gets too big? She's 2 1/2 months old...

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 6:16 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter had GERD when she was younger... talk about scarey.... and i had her in a swing. She got air vacced from our hospital when she was five months old into the NICU and they put her in a swing!!
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 6:17 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• What's GERD???
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 6:18 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My baby did that to when he was younger, he is 7 months old and I still go and check on him if I don't hear anything for a while on the baby moniter, I noticed that when I over fed him he would do that. what I did was I would put him on his back but turn his head to the side and put a blankey behind his head so he stays that way so if he did vomit it will just come out of his mouth and he won't choke on it just make sure that every so often you switch sides cuz you don't want her laying on one side for to long cuz she will get a flat spot
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 6:31 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Gastro esophagul reflux desiese. Its bad. Not fun. Failure the thrive (Not gaining the proper amount of weight)
    Not hitting milestones as they should.

Throwing up so much, that it covers an overweight adult complely at 2 months!!!

Scarey stuff.
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 6:32 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• my son had bad reflux as well, but the only place he slept was in his bed, we just laid him on his side with one of the weird pillow things
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 6:38 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• no it isnt bad for them.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 6:39 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• No it isnt a bad thing..you just have to be careful because the older she gets the harder it will be for you to get her to sleep some where other then the swing. and you wont always have a swing for her to sleep in. My dd would sleep in her swing sometimes just because the swinging would help her stay asleep.
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 7:01 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My son (he 2.5 now) wouldn't sleep anywhere but his swing or on top of me for about the first 5 months of his life. At 7 months he went into his crib and was fine.
    Anonymous

• Our Pedi told us to buy a swing with my first and let her sleep there when she wouldn't sleep for more than 15 minutes at a time. Didn't hurt her at all. My sisters baby would throw up alot and the Specialist told her to make her sleep sitting up like in a carseat or swing.
    valerie0103

Answer by valerie0103 at 7:52 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• um no all of my kids would doze off in their swings and i just turned the swing off most the time and let them stay. they were strapped in.

also my oldest was born with congenital heart failure and she couldn't breathe very well. i used to have her sleep in her carseat most nights because that way she could be propped up. her carseat was very well cushioned, i would cover her with blankets so she would stay warm
    jennalms

Answer by jennalms at 8:19 PM on Jun. 12, 2009