When your child leaves toys on the floor, do you make them pick them up, or do you eventually just give up and let them leave their messes?

merryheart

Asked by merryheart at 6:35 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would hope they would make them pick it up.. thats a good parent.
    Anonymous

• I make him pick them up, I stand there and make sure he does it bc if I walk oway he will not do it, you have to show him who is the parent bc if you don't then they will just walk all over you
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 6:42 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• i make him pick it up, exactly one hour before bed he will pick up all his toys put them way, come in the living room sit down and watch some tv and go to room and go to bed...he isnt even 2 and has nevr since we started fought me on it
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 6:42 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• i make him pick up all his toys, everytime he plays with them, and he can only have one toy out at the time.. theirs no point in having like 4 toys out when its only him..
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 6:47 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Make them pick up after themselves...but someitmes you are better off doing it yourself you can do a better job...lol

Yeah stay on top of them and when you are needing it done quick you do it...I guess
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 6:49 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My kids pick up their toys. I do help them sometimes. I will also tell them when they refuse to pick up that that's fine I'll get the broom and sweep everything into the garbage. I've yet to have to get the broom they usually get cracking after that.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 6:54 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• my kids loves clean up...and even when he wont do it, we do it together. i tell him all the time, im your mom, not your b*tch. lol. thats just my humor.
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 6:56 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I start with 10 minutes to clean up and give 5 min. "warnings" after that what ever is left goes in a big black garbage back straight out of the house and its gone! My kids are 8 and 5 and it typically takes about 5-7 minutes for everything to be picked up-and put away where it goes-(key point) from the time the 10 starts. I of course allow extra time if its a big mess or if theres a potty break to contend with.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 7:04 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• They pick up their own messes. I've not picked up a toy since my youngest daughter was three years old and I was helping to clean my son who was a baby at the times room, now days he's in there with sisters cleaning when a mess is made. We have a saying in our house, "You make the mess; you clean the mess."
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 7:05 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• At this age, he started, I helped, depending on the level of mess. Now that he's older (4), it's all up to him to pick them up, or I take them away. But at 1-2, expecting them to do it all by themselves without help can be overwhelming for some kids, especially if the mess is big and there's no order to where the toys go.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 7:06 PM on Jun. 12, 2009