• In the Spotlight:

High blood pressure and I'm only 25

When I was 30 weeks pregnant I started having problems with my bp and they told me it would get better after I delivered....but it didn't. They put me on meds and after a couple months it went back to normal. But now, almost a year later, I started having problems again. I'm back on meds, but I don't understand why this is happening. I cut out salt and fatty foods, I've lost about 50 lbs since my son was born last July, I don't smoke or drink...my parents both have hypertension, but it didn't start until they were in their 50's. Has anyone else experienced this or have any advice? My doctor keeps running different tests but can't give me any answers.

sbastille

Asked by sbastille at 6:42 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Health

• I don't know but I had a similar situation. Mine got worse after I had my dd and ended up in ICU for a week then the cardiac unit for another week. It took over 6 weeks for it to get back to normal. Low potassium can make your blood pressure rise. I know my dh was taking advil every day for pain and when he went to the dr. for a check up his blood pressure was high. He went off the advil and it was fine. My mom has high blood pressure but her's is just from heredity. She's never smoked, never drinks, eats really healthyshe was over weight but lost weight and it still didn't go away. I know that isn't much help but I hope your dr. finds something to help.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 7:17 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I developed HBP at age 13. At first the docs thought maybe it was my kidneys and said that sometimes there is a link but turns out that it is just bad genes. My family also has it. I don't drink or smoke and also keep salt to a minimum. Good ole meds for the rest of my life.
    Anonymous

• Are you sodium senstitive?

Answer by rkoloms at 9:49 AM on Jun. 13, 2009