If a widower with a son remarries in 1950, is the step mom required by law to adopt the child?

Bingo555

Asked by Bingo555 at 6:44 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Adoption

• I'm not positive, but I don't think that anyone can be forced to adopt a child. That just doesn't sound right to me.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 6:51 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• As far as I know I don't think so... I don't think anyone is required to be forced into something they don't want... and for it to be that many yrs ago... the stepchild is far to old ...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:00 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• No, I believe it isn't mandatory, it is voluntary. You may check with an attorney because the only reason why after so many years somebody would care about the adoption is if there is a disability, an inheritance dispute or something of that sort.

Either way, good luck and check into everything depending in the circumstances surrounding your posting. Now, I am curious why would it matter after so many years?
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 7:05 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I'm not sureof what the practices were in 1950 but I doubt there was a legal requirement for the new wife to legally adopt prior children. There may have been societal pressure to do so and if that was the case, we all know how that could be as strong as law!
    PortAngeles1969

Answer by PortAngeles1969 at 9:39 PM on Jun. 12, 2009