I never got my nails done (acrilic) in a salon, and I wonder if they last....

I am a SAHM (toddler and baby), do all the housework, so.....are they worth it?
how long they last?
do you have any tips for me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• it mostly depends on where you go and who does it... I just don't like keeping up on them myself. They are kinda tricky to learn how do yourself but it just takes practice... if I do get mine done I fill them myself.
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 7:00 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I got mine done for prom and they are much better than just buying fake nails and gluing them on yourself. Mine last until I went and got them taken off. Of course your nails will grow, so you may end up with a little gap you can either get filled or just paint the fake nail and your real nail for a quick fix. =)
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 7:11 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I don't think its worth it. They ruin your real nails =\
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 8:18 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• i GET MiNE D0NE JUST AB0UT EVERY 2 WEEKS. AND iT'S W0RTH iT T0 ME. N0W WHETHER THEY LAST AND STUFF LiKE THAT DEPENDS 0N WHERE Y0U G0 AND H0W G00D THE PLACE iS.
    Mommy-N-07-N-09

Answer by Mommy-N-07-N-09 at 8:36 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My moms nails last her about a month until she needs a fill in...i have to go after about 2.5 weeks or they look tacky..i miss my nails sooo much! i have contemplated doing them myself..its something i really wanted to go to school for but never did!!! if you keep your hands in water alot make sure you wear gloves and youll be fine....just drive around one day..and see how busy your local salons are...stop in ask about pricing and ask some ladies waiting whos the best...dont be afraid to be choosy..their YOUR HANDS AND ITS YOUR MONEY!! i used to tell the ladies all the time nope take her im waiting on such and such...theyre perfectly fine with that..and they got used to my face...
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:53 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Depends on whether they are well done and what you do. I have had acrylics last for months and then i had one time where I smashed my nails at school the next day
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 10:36 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I am also a stay at home mom of 10 month old twins and a 5 year old little girl. I had my nails done 2 times only. Once for my wedding, and Once for my anniversary (me and my husband spent 2 days at a resort). I really don't think it's worth it. Because I am the housekeeper, so within 3 days of cleaning and cooking and laundry and everything else, I broke 2 nails and scratched the paint off of 3 of them. I am never doing that again, unless my kids are grown and moved out.
    Rmiddelton

Answer by Rmiddelton at 5:37 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• They look nice, but they will ruin your nails. You have to take them off every couple of months.. maybe 6 or so?.. in order to avoid fungus growing on them. They'll file down the surface of the nail (not the edge) and bond the plastic to it. Unfortunately to get it off you end up losing a large portion of the nail and some people complain of sensitive fingers (nail bed-the pink part). So while they look beautiful, it's CONSTANT maintenance. You have to go in about every 2 weeks or you have a gap by your cuticle and the acrylic starts to lift off the nail.It's an investment rather than something you'd do only once.The paint also lasts longer on acrylic. I would do it for a special occasion but probably not for every day life (I used to in my younger days).

s.teph

Answer by s.teph at 10:50 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• It kinda depends. I am a sahm of one toddler and I had them. you can got two weeks to a month before having to fill them, it really depends on you. I stopped getting them because I was so anal about them and wanted them done weekly and couldnt afford it, but i have friends who happily fill once a month. Personally I prefer gels to acrylic.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:45 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I use to get them alot and they actually hold up pretty well. Other then having to get them filled often. It can be pricey even with the bad times now. I have been a nail biter for 18 years. I decided to stop. In about a month I have nice long nails. I have not had to use anything on them either. I am happy with it and it is free. :)
    Morgan.

Answer by Morgan. at 11:35 AM on Jun. 14, 2009