Social anxiety disorder

Do you think that social anxiety disorder is real?Would you consider it a disability?Why do you think some people have it?Do you think it is something someone is born with or is it something that causes it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:13 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Health

• I have anxiety bad. Socially and privatly, so I do know that it is real. I don't know what causes it. All I know is that when I am in a group of people and I don't know any of them, or even if I do know them and the group is just larger than I'm comfortable with, I get all clammy and red and can't breath. To be honest I was never the way I am now in high school, so I don't know what changed.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 7:19 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I am 48 years old and have been exremely social my entire life. The last few years, I am not so eager to go out and see people. I like my alone time and get tired of people and all the niceties, like hi how are you and blah blah blah. This is why I love CM because I can choose when and what and I don't have to put on makeup or listen to peoples boring stories when I couldn't care less. I'm not sure if that is SAD or not.
    Anonymous

• I think its diffrent with everyone- the common nature vs. nurture .. sometimes it comes from birth, somtimes life experience. its hard to tell.. they say that depression is in your genes... so maybe social anxiety can be as well?
    Anonymous

• I have always had this and it can be horrible. It dosen't even have to be "social" situations. Things like walking through the grocery store alone, or through a parking lot, with the thought of people looking at me freak me out. I hate going out alone. I am sure it could be debilitating. I am on lexapro and lorazepam and it really dosen't do much for the social anxiety. I just learn to deal with it.
    Anonymous

• It is a phycological issue that can be helped with therapy; drugs just mask the underlying problem, like taking asprin for a toothache instead of going to the dentist.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:48 AM on Jun. 13, 2009