How can I get my (almost) 3 month old to like "tummy time"?

At first she liked it, & at times tried falling asleep on her tummy. Now she's getting a little bigger, she doesn't like it. We got her a little tummy time mat, & she'll be ok for a few minutes, but soon after, she's crying & fussing cause she wants up. I'll lay her on her back or side, & she's fine, so how can I get my (almost) 3 month old to like "tummy time"?

Laylas_Mommy09

Asked by Laylas_Mommy09 at 7:20 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• she will enjoy it when the time is right for her. they grow so fast, enjoy the little babe that stays where you put her! =^)
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 7:25 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• tummy time is hard work. Don't force her to do it too long, when she fusses pick her up. You can also try doing tummy time on you. PLace her on your chest and lay down or half way, leaning on a pillow.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 7:27 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My daughter always hated tummy time, she would cry like crazy until we put her on her side and know shes a year old she still will not lay on her tummy she doesn't crawl she has never crawled she butt Scots it's the cutest thing. I don't know if that her never crawling has anything to do with not liking to be on her tummy.

Give her time she may or may not over come it.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 7:38 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My dd never liked tummy time, so I never pushed it. She started pulling herself to a standing position at 9 months, cruising at 10 months, and now at 11 months is able to take a few steps.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:06 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• dont' force it. all my kids hated it at first. try laying down across from her on your tummy (or have your man do it) so that you are laying face to face with your baby. that might help, my kids liked that. maybe have some music playing, sing to your baby?

other than that, just put a few toys down in front of her. like rattles, a hardcover book, a stuffed animal. try to distract her so she will play
    jennalms

Answer by jennalms at 8:24 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• DD hated it so we never did it.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:03 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My dd loves tummy time but when she looks uncomfortable I either pick her up or put a pillow underneath her chest. That takes the pressure of her tummy and chest and she seems happier. Or I put a toy in front of her to look at. Also she loves lying on my chest and will try to push up and over my shoulder. I think the problem for her is that she is trying to get moving and she cant yet. Is this the same for your dd?

Tummy time is really important for their development though so try a little each day. She will get used to it in time.
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 10:49 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• mine always hated it.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:30 PM on Jun. 13, 2009