For those parents who give their children chores.

I dont care if you pay your kids or not. What i wanna know is at WHAT AGE did you give them real chores? something OTHER then making them clean their own room or pick up their own toys. And what was that other chore?
My DS is 4 1/2 years old. I believe he is capable of helping me out more around the house, but i dont know what would be appropriate for him to help me with other then his own toys.

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 7:40 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• from about 5 my kids have helped to set and clear the table. They also help with dinner in small ways when asked. and after dinner one wipes the table and the other sweeps. The little one helps with what we ask as well because he wants to be like the big kids.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:26 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• my son is only 17 months and he insists on helping me with the laundry picking it up from around the house and floor and putting it into the washer. He also likes to grab a rag and help wash little hand prints off walls and tables! I think you should ask him what he would LIKE to help with. At the young ages we are merely just teaching them to be tidy and clean not trying to force it and make it a chore.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 7:42 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• He can help you empty the dish washer like with the forks and spoons, he can help with folding the lanudry and putting his lanudry away. Thats all that i can think of right now. Hope that helps you a bit.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 7:44 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• At that age my kids emptied the bathroom trash, picked up toys, brought in the newspaper, helped take out the recycling, I had them carry in light bags from the car after grocery shopping, pick up stray glasses, cups around the house... you get the idea....just get them in the habit of pitching in and you will be glad you did! BTW- now that they are older, there are chores they do for free and a list of extras they can do for $!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 7:50 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Help with the dishes, set the table, et. He's old enough for that type of stuff.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 7:54 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I started my kids at age 3. My ds is 4 and he helps his sister load the dishwasher (he brings the dishes to the counter by the dishwasher), he does his laundry ( I help him fold it) including putting it away, he feeds the cats and dog. That's in addition to keeping his room clean and picking up his toys.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 7:55 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• As soon as they can walk. They take their dishes to the sink, put dirty clothes in the hamper, clean up their toys, etc. At around 3 or 4 they start unloading the dishwasher, putting their clothes away, vacuuming, etc. By 6 they are cleaning their bathroom and picking up dog poop.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 8:22 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Amber - your house sounds like mine. People thought I was crazy having my 7 yr old clean her bathroom.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 8:24 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Sadira... LOL I have 4 kids. I must do 20 loads of laundry a week, 9 dishwasher loads, and lets not forget the cloth diapers, home cooked meals from scratch, and ALL 8 neighbor kids who think this is also their home. Every day is a new adventure and if I had to clean up after my 3, 6, and 9 year olds (and their friends) like I was their own personal maid, I don't think I would have enough energy to cook (or even sit on the computer LOL). Have you ever smelled a bathroom after 3 kids have used it for a week? Gross!!! Sometimes I ask them if they want to unload the dishwasher or clean the bathroom. Can you believe they ALWAYS pick the bathroom! LOL I guess there is something pretty cool about holding a squirt bottle and rag. LOL
    Thanks!!!
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 8:58 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My son is 5 his jobs are to bring in the mail and news paper, bring his laundry to the washer on Sat and to put his own dishes in the sink after meals. He has been doing this for a year now and I am considering adding brush the dog and clean the back door window to that list.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:04 PM on Jun. 12, 2009