can you give me the verse that God says not to make any images of Him?

NT or OT. I know I can google but I broke my foot and it hurts to sit up too long.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• So if it's OK to have statues on holy things why do people get mad at Catholics for having statues in their church? Don't Catholics think Jesus is in their churches? I mean more than other people because of the bread that becomes Jesus thing. (Sorry Catholics I'm not trying to be rude or anything.)
    Anonymous

• Its part of the ten commandmentr
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:47 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Ex. 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee a graven image, nor any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 9:05 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• If that's the case then why do you think God later commanded statues be built? Like in Ex. 25:18–20; 1 Chr. 28:18–19; Ezekiel 41:17–18 or that story about the bronze snake in Num. 21:8–9. (Not the OP by the way)
    Anonymous

• The snake on the pole was later destroyed because they began to worship it.

Here's the rest of the verses in Exodus 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them, for I Jehovah thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, upon the third and upon the fourth generation of them that hate me, 6 and showing lovingkindness unto thousands of them that love me and keep my commandments.

bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 9:26 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Exodus 25:18-20 - was not an image of a god or of God.. it was the ark of the Covenant.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 9:29 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I really did not want the debate, but I am in too much to do research myself. The extra verses that were posted-does someone mind posting what they say? Thanks? I will check back later to read them.
    Anonymous

• The other verses in 1 Chr. 28:18-19 and Ezekiel 41:17-18 - both are speaking of the ark of the Covenant and the Temple.. again not an image to be worshiped but a place to worship God.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 9:34 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I included verse 16 and seventeen to show it was not a statue but the ark of the covenant that was being built.

Ex. 25:16 And thou shalt put into the ark the testimony which I shall give thee.

17 And thou shalt make a mercy-seat of pure gold: two cubits and a half shall be the length thereof, and a cubit and a half the breadth thereof.

18 And thou shalt make two cherubim of gold; of beaten work shalt thou make them, at the two ends of the mercy-seat.

19 And make one cherub at the one end, and one cherub at the other end: of one piece with the mercy-seat shall ye make the cherubim on the two ends thereof.

bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 9:37 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• For 1 Chronicles 28:18-19 - I included verse 10.. where it says they are to build a house for the sanctuary... again this is the temple being built.

1 Chronicles 28:10 Take heed now; for Jehovah hath chosen thee to build a house for the sanctuary: be strong, and do it.

18 and for the altar of incense refined gold by weight; and gold for the pattern of the chariot, even the cherubim, that spread out their wings, and covered the ark of the covenant of Jehovah.

19 All this, said David, have I been made to understand in writing from the hand of Jehovah, even all the works of this pattern.

bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 9:40 PM on Jun. 12, 2009