Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

daycare at your own home?

I have read a from a few moms here and there on cafemom that they have daycares at their does this work? do you have to get certifications since this is considered a business? my lease states "no business is to run out of the home" could I disguise a home daycare as a "playgroup" if ever questioned?


Asked by Anonymous at 8:35 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • In my state you do not have t be certified if you keep less than 3 kids full time. I agree talk to your land lord and see how he feels about you keeping 1 or2 kids in your home. I'm sure they just don't want traffic rolling through the neighborhood at all hours. People can do some stupid things when they rent houses and your LL is probably just covering his butt.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

  • That could be VERY touchy if your renting from someone local...esp. if you plan on wouldnt wanna lose your house trying to work!! that would kinda defeat the purpose lol!! however, you could always take care of two to three kids for money and call it "babysitting" lol..always a loop hole!

    Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:49 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

  • I would talk to the land lord. I think that they are just trying to keep their own hides safe by not having someone come in and use the house solely as a business on a residential zoned property.

    Answer by But_Mommie at 8:56 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

  • Probably babysitting would be okay. Most states have a limit on how many kids you can have before it is considered a business.

    Answer by oliviahank at 9:23 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

  • Watching a child for more than 10 hours per week or watching more than a certain number of kids in many places will mean you need to have a license.

    Answer by AprilDJC at 1:49 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

  • If you lease states that you can't then you can't, you have to get liabiltiy insurance in most states and the insurance won't cover unless you are allowed to have a business in the home. You have to be licensed by the state & certified and regularly inspected depending on the state. Some states are if you watch more than 1 family then its a business and you have to claim self employed.

    Answer by usmcvalle at 1:54 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

  • One of our neighbors (a home owner) was hit with a huge fine for running an unlicensed daycare.
    As a parent, I would not leave my child in a daycare that was not licensed and insured; it is not so much the license and insurance, as it is meeting the requirements for license and insurance.

    Answer by rkoloms at 7:01 AM on Jun. 13, 2009