Anxiety attacks after surgery?

My Mother just recently had the Gastric Bypass surgery. she had it done may 29, that night she had her first anxiety/panick attack. The Doctors said it was normal to have them so they gave her xanax. It did help her but now 2 weeks after she still has them, and the meds arent working anymore. I'm 12 weeks pregnant and its just stressing me out with her frantic phone calls and crying all the time. Has anyone had experience with this before? or know anyone who has? Now theyre just pushing her off and telling her to go to the ER. Shouldnt these Gastric bypass Specialists help her if its so common?

firethearson

Asked by firethearson at 9:10 PM on Jun. 12, 2009 in Health

• Does your mom have an underlying fear?...ask her! Most people have a fear of something, and it trigger's these attacks. I suffered from them for about 1 year, and it was a fear of dying after I past out one time, after that happened...it scared me so much, I had them all the time! I noticed that when ever I felt dizzy, from being tired etc...I would have an anxiety attack. Tell your mom to research them...to get a better understanding of them...tell her that she need's to take deep breathes when having one, and she also should do what I did...sounds gay but: Put an elastic around her wrist and when she feels one coming on...snap it until it distracts her from having the attack...sounds crazy but it worked! Eventually, when you have a better understanding of them, the DO go away...tell her to try laughing when she is feeling one coming and tell herself, " this is so silly" and take control in her mind!!
    Anonymous

• Hope she feels better soon, this isn't an easy thing to over come!!
    And she needs to find others that suffer the same illness..a support group, or someone that she can call when she has a bad one, you shouldn't be dealing with it every time, it's too much to take on when pregnant...and it will make you anxious as well, NOT good for baby!
    God Bless You, take care.
    Anonymous

• She should really see a therapist to help her figure out why she is panicked, and help the attacks go away. Go to you local library, and find a book for your mom by Clare (Claire?) Weeks.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:45 AM on Jun. 13, 2009